QU blinks, Knights win in overtime

The Quinnipiac men’s soccer team entered its second overtime game of the season but was defeated in overtime, 1-0, by Fairleigh Dickinson Sunday afternoon at the Quinnipiac Soccer Field.

“It was an opportunistic play for them,” Quinnipiac head coach Eric Da Costa said. “We fell asleep for one second.”

Fairleigh Dickinson’s sophomore midfielder Dominic Reinold scored the game-winning goal in the sixth minute of overtime, as he battled through the Bobcats’ last defender for a shot on net and was able to catch his own rebound that slipped through the hands of sophomore goalkeeper Josh Lavallee. Fairleigh Dickinson’s Jeffrey Barrenechea was credited with the assist as he passed a 30-yard through ball to his fellow classmate Reinhold.

Fairleigh Dickinson (8-6-1, 4-3-1 NEC) seemed to hold the momentum in the opening minutes, but Quinnipiac (3-9-1, 2-4 NEC) came back to outshoot the Knights, 8-7, and held a 3-2 corner kick advantage in the first half.

“Friday was a tough game, and that took a lot out of us,” Da Costa said. “The guys who played a full game on Friday were back out there, and I think it took them a little while to get their legs underneath them.”

In the second half, Quinnipiac registered 10 shots and limited the Knights to only four shots. The Bobcats’ best opportunity came 11 minutes into the second half when senior defender Tolle Staffanson headed the ball into an opening in the goalkeeper’s box, but the ball sailed just above the crossbar.

Photo credit: Anna Brundage