UConn Invitational: Mikkelson, Kwei fall in finals

The team of senior Brian Mikkelson and junior James Kwei took second place in Flight A doubles, losing in the championship match of the UConn Invitational, which took place Friday and Saturday. Sophomore Chris Nelson finished runner-up in Flight D singles.

The road to the championship for Mikkelson and Kwei went through doubles teams from Hartford, Sacred Heart and UConn. It was another doubles team from UConn, Andrew Marcus and Scott Warden, that ended the Bobcats’ run in a match that ended 8-6 in favor of the Huskies.

Nelson opened up against Bucknell’s Gregory Maxson, winning, 6-4, 7-6. In his second match, he defeated Boston University’s Alex Green, 4-6, 6-1, 11-9.

In the semifinals, Nelson took down UConn’s Nic Visinski, 6-3, 2-6, 10-7. In the championship match, Nelson fell to Teddy Margules of UConn, 6-0, 6-3.

Mikkelson and Kwei were each able to win one singles match. Mikkelson defeated Chadd Sullo of Sacred Heart, 6-3, 6-4, in Flight A singles. In the next round, Marco Neves took down Mikkelson, 3-6, 6-3, 10-4.

Kwei was victorious over Sacred Heart’s Cole Conrad, 6-2, 6-2, in his first round match. He fell to Warden in the second round, 7-5, 6-4.

Sophomores Andrew Weeden and Ben Shapiro won each of their first singles matches. In Flight B singles, Weeden defeated Boston University’s Jarred Pendleton, 6-4, 6-1.

Shapiro cruised over Hartford’s Edgardo Ureta, 6-1, 6-1, in Flight D.

The Bobcats resume play at home in the Quinnipiac Invitational on Oct. 8.