Another New Road?

In order to compensate for lack of dorm facilities, Quinnipiac recently purchased houses conveniently located on New Road, but the inconvenient potholes for students and staff may potentially cause damage.
    “If students have complaints or concerns about potholes on New Road they must go to the town of Hamden because Quinnipiac has no obligation to town issues,” said John Morgan, Quinnipiac’s Public Relations Director.
    Due to Quinnipiac’s recent expansion, New Road is primarily used by staff and students. They feel that these potholes are an issue that need’s concern and should take precedence in the town’s upcoming spring budget.
    According to Hamden’s mayor, Carl Amento, the town budget only allows $50,000 for every mile of road repair. Under these terms, it would mean tearing up the road and paving a totally new-New Road.
    The Department of Public Works stated they have been using a temporary cold patch to fill these holes every other day, but due to cold weather the filler freezes and breaks off again.
    “I use New Road Monday through Friday and the holes apparently haven’t been fixed, they’ve actually gotten worse since last semester,” said Megan McMahon, a senior psychology major who commutes from Wallingford.
    Mayor Amento also stated that reconstruction of New Road is not a priority in this year’s spring budget.
    For senior political science major, Jared Alfin, following New Road is his priority on order to avoid traffic on Whitney Avenue, to get a parking space at school, and make it to class on time.
    “I think the pot holes are dangerous and damaging to cars. Any student that goes that way should avoid New Road especially at night because pot holes, lack of lights in the area, joggers and bicyclists are all bad combinations in an accident waiting to happen,” said Alfin.
    The Department of Public Works also stated that by spring the pothole problems will be taken care of. Tilco Inc., the town’s tar producing facility is only open in spring and summer and until then they will continue their efforts in filling these holes for the time being
    . The mayor may not be including New Road construction in his budget, but he is working on special regulations and occupancy codes for students living in off-campus houses, in order to avoid disputes and gripe of Hamden residents.
    “Quinnipiac isn’t working with the town on developing these regulations, but the town of Hamden is in the process of developing student housing regulations,” said Lynn Bushnell, Vice President of Public Affairs.
    Amento also is said to be working on creating a special zone for students who live off campus near and around New Road. If Quinnipiac continues their expansion from the perimeters of campus to other areas in Hamden like South New Road, longtime residents may voice disapproval.
    “Quinnipiac has shown interest in buying property off New Road, due to it’s convenient location, but we have no intentions of purchasing homes on South New Road,” said Bushnell.
    In regards to housing regulations Bushnell stated that,
    “The town of Hamden will review regulations with us prior to their commencing the normal approval process for getting such regulations adopted.”
    By spring New Road will be smooth sailing, but anyone having damage to their car or major concerns about this issue, should go Hamden’s Town Hall.