Albany shuts out field hockey, 3-0

The Quinnipiac field hockey team lost a non-conference game Friday to No. 19 University of Albany, 3-0, at the University of Michigan’s Phyllis Ocker Field in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Albany displayed an overpowering offense, scoring three goals from three different players and outshot the Bobcats 21-8 in the game.

Albany’s Daphne Voormolen broke a 0-0 tie in the 36th minute by rebounding teammate Christina Patrick’s shot off Bobcat defenseman Tina Watkins and putting it into the net for a 1-0 lead. That was all the offense the Great Danes needed.

Quinnipiac’s best chance to tie the game came in the 46th minute when Kaitlyn Notarianni fired a shot at Albany’s net, but defender Sarah Deane blocked the shot for a defensive save. Two minutes later, the Great Danes took the ball up the field and doubled their lead to 2-0 on a goal by Nina Walters. Walters’ unassisted goal came from the right side of the circle past Bobcat goalkeeper Nicole Lewis.

The Great Danes added another goal in the 61st minute by Suzy Clephane to extend their lead to 3-0 and secure the win. Goalkeepers Kristi Troch and Christine Hoffman combined for five saves and a shutout.

Lewis had seven saves for the Bobcats as the defense and she kept the team in the game in the first half, allowing just six shots on goal and keeping the game scoreless.

The Bobcats hit the turf at Phyllis Ocker Field Sunday when they face the University of Michigan at 1 p.m.