Ariana Grande radiates positivity with the release of ‘Eternal Sunshine’

Alex Kendall

Ariana Grande’s “Eternal Sunshine” took me on an emotional journey, navigating the realms of coping with the past and embracing the present.

Grande released her seventh studio album on March 8, in which she documents the obstacles of her failed marriage with Dalton Gomez and the excitement of her budding relationship with “Wicked” co-star Ethan Slater.

It’s evident that Grande used this album as a diary to create some of the most beautifully written and transparent songs of her career.

Prior to the album’s release, the cover art provided a sneak peek to the record’s overarching message. The image shows Grande resting her head on a clone of herself, symbolizing resilience and self-reliance in light of challenges, reassuring that she can count on herself during tough times.

The day “Eternal Sunshine” came out, I listened to it on a continuous loop for hours, fully immersing myself in the melodies. With the help of Grande’s fanbase, “Eternal Sunshine” became Spotify’s most streamed album in a single day in 2024. More than a week later, the appeal of this album remains thanks to Grande’s subliminal messages and catchy beats.

Having spent time focusing on the lyrics and sounds of each track, my top three picks are “bye,” “supernatural” and “we can’t be friends (wait for your love).”

“bye” is a disco-inspired track that has a slight R&B flare, similar to Grande’s single “yes, and?” released on Jan. 12. These tracks remind me of vogue-style music because they have an irresistible upbeat tune while also capturing an essence of confidence.

While “bye” and “yes, and?” are definitely dance hits, “supernatural” is relatable on a completely different level.

“supernatural” is one of those songs you can’t stop singing no matter how hard you try — it just nests itself in your head. The lyrics, “This love’s possessing me/ But I don’t mind at all,” demonstrate how new love is always a unique and overwhelming but amazing feeling all at once.

The only music video for this album so far belongs to “we can’t be friends (wait for your love)” drawing inspiration from the 2004 film “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.” Grande personifies the character Peaches, an homage to Kate Winslet’s character, Clementine.

In the video, Peaches undergoes a procedure where memories of an ex-boyfriend are erased. At the end of the video, Peaches clings to the necklace she’s wearing as she sheds tears, begging the doctors to spare a specific memory. Despite her plea, the doctors erase it anyway.

At that moment, Peaches seems to regret following through with the procedure, but in the end, it’s essential to move forward in her journey toward fulfillment. The lyrics perfectly echo this message with the lines, “But I don’t want to feed this monstrous fire/ Just want to let this story die/ And I’ll be alright.”

Grande has not revealed who this song is about, but fans have speculated that it’s addressing either Gomez, late rapper Mac Miller — Grande’s ex from 2018 — or Grande’s relationship with the press.

Unlike “thank u, next,” Grande’s chart-topper from 2019, “Eternal Sunshine” opts out of explicitly name-dropping Grande’s exes.

Despite such references being excluded from the album, fans took it upon themselves to send hateful messages to those they think the songs are about, prompting Grande to address the situation.

“Anyone that is sending hateful messages to the people in my life based on your interpretation of this album is not supporting me and is absolutely doing the polar opposite of what I would ever encourage,” Grande wrote on her Instagram story on March 9.

Aside from the usual banter on social media, there has been a massive amount of support for this album. There is simply no denying the talent Grande has as a vocalist and writer.

As a long-time Grande fan, I’m obsessed with the way she poured her feelings into this album. A majority of the time, she writes about being afraid of what new love can bring after being hurt so many times throughout her career. With this record, she’s at a significant point in her career where she’s finally realizing how strong she is despite past hardships.