Holy Cross edges women’s soccer, 2-1

In search of its first win of the season, the Quinnipiac women’s soccer team fell short in a road game at the College of the Holy Cross, losing 2-1, in Worcester, Mass., on Sunday.

Senior forward Lauren Peacock scored the lone goal for the Bobcats (0-4) in the 36th minute off a pass from senior defender Kyla Miles to narrow the deficit to 1. However, Holy Cross (2-3) held off the Bobcats, who only had 1 shot on goal the rest of the game.

Holy Cross senior forward Shelby Stand led the Crusaders with both of the team’s goals in the game. Her first goal came in the 24th minute and was unassisted as she recovered the ball from 18 yards out. In the 32nd minute Stand received a pass from teammate Gaby Ransom and fired a shot past Bobcats goalkeeper Jill Kelley for her second goal of the game, giving Holy Cross a 2-0 lead.

Kelley recorded 5 saves to keep the Bobcats in the game. But on the other side of the field, the Bobcats had just 4 shots on goal all game and could only find the back of the net once.

Despite the loss, Quinnipiac head coach Dave Clarke was impressed with the effort he saw.

“Overall it was (the team’s) best performance to date,” he said. “We kept the ball moving and created chances. The team really came together.”

Photo credit: Matt Eisenberg