Take a look into the future at the SPB Psychic Fair

Quinn O’Neill

Students gathered in the Carl Hansen Student Center piazza in anticipation for a glimpse into their future, while picking out which crystals best suited their desires and choosing which tea set the mood best. 

The Student Programming Board hosted a free Psychic Fair on Sept. 28, in which upon entry students picked which of the three psychics they wanted a reading from, and received a ticket with a number indicating their place in line.

“So I did the traditional palm reader and the traditional tarot card reader, but I also added a handwriting analyst,” said Jaylene Guerra, a senior marketing major and the SPB traditions and community chair.  “I’m excited to see how that plays out.” 

Guerra said that the psychic fair has been occuring yearly for as long as she has been a student here, but every year the traditions and community chair adds their own spin on the event. She said the unique aspect of the event is how it brings in a new audience compared to other events and is a chance to meet new people. 

“It gets a lot of people here and it’s not something you would think that would, because obviously bingo (events) get people out there,” said Guerra. “But it’s a whole different type of person that’s coming to this event.”

Guerra began the process of planning the event in May by talking to companies about the featured psychics, planning the activities and decorations and assigning jobs.

For some attendees the event was pure fun, but others came looking for a little help from their spiritual guides.

“I wanted to get some guidance for where my life is going,” Jessica Clark, a senior media studies major, said. “I’m graduating soon, so I wanted to come here and get a free reading.”

Clark, who received a tarot reading, explained that she’s passionate about spirituality and tarot cards. As a reader herself, she was impressed with SPB’s dedication to the fair.

“It’s really well organized,” Clark said. “Everyone’s doing a really great job. They have handwriting analysis, I never would have thought about that before. That’s really cool.”

While students waited for their reading of choice, attendees participated in activities at tables around the piazza. One station was a make-your-own dream journal, which gave students the option of decorating the books with stickers such as cats, crystals, potions and other similar themed items. 

The personalized crystal bags included a choice of small colorful stones that attract energy such as good luck, emotional healing and happiness. The tea and honey station had tea bags laid out organized by flavor. Members of SPB also took polaroids of students against a psychic-themed backdrop. 

Danielle Burney, a first-year political science major, sat in a chair sipping ginger tea while waiting for a tarot card reading. 

“I already collect crystals and I was told there’d be other ones,” Burney said. “Plus I’m making it a plan to go to all the (SPB) events.”

According to Guerra, this year’s SPB events have been pulling more than 100 students each, and the psychic fair was no exception. The event drew in students from a variety of majors and years, who participated in the activities for nearly three hours.

While Timothy Glover, a sophomore marketing major in the 3+1 program, was enjoying the different activities while waiting for his reading, a different motivation brought him to the psychic fair.

“My girlfriend wanted to go to get our palms read,” Glover said. “It’s pretty chill. Good vibe.”