BSU reveals elements of fashion

Another night of fabulous fashion was put on by the students of Quinnipiac University on April 10. The Black Student Union hosted their annual fashion show in Alumni Hall.

This year’s theme was a collaborative idea: “Elements of Fashion.”  Originally the theme was based on horoscopes, but the coordinators of the show, sophomores Vanessa Scafe and Terrell Allen, noticed a common theme within the horoscopes: they all contained the elements of fire, earth, air and water. The coordinators decided to make those elements the backdrop of their show.

The models took to the runway in outfits from designers such as RoyalT Apparel, created by last year’s BSU President Carla Brown, and Brooke’s Touch tutus, by Brooklyn designer Tiffany.  The group also had clothes donated from local New Haven boutiques.

“Having everyone’s hard work pay off and have the show come together was good enough for me,” model Nia Blackmon, a sophomore said. “We all worked really hard and put in a lot of hours to make a successful show.”

Seniors Shana Bennett and Xavier Bishop hosted the event.

The show not only exhibited fashion, but showcased talent. Senior Maria Boxill and sophomore Nailah Rahman graced the stage with a ballet duet, and Sigma Gamma Rho provided a step performance.

“I was amazed there wasn’t enough seats–there were people standing up in the back,” Allen said.

After the show, the party continued with food catered by Eli’s on Whitney and music from DJ Doug.

Half of the proceeds from the show will be going to a charity of the organization’s choice.