Like Madonna, like daughter

At 13 years old, my fashion sense was not sharp. I was still at a phase in my life where I thought Sketchers sneakers and denim skirts were the ultimate pair. However, at 13 years old, I didn’t have a celebrity mother to look up to either, who dons designer duds on the way to get a cup of coffee. I’m sure someone like Lourdes, the daughter of legendary pop star Madonna, has retained a heightened fashion sense after experiencing that firsthand. Madonna, who counts fashion designers as her top comrades, is a pro when it comes to dressing right. Her style has revolutionized from her famous bullet bras, lacy fingerless gloves, and fishnet tights. Similarly, she has relayed her refined style to her adolescent the daughter with a magnificent result: pairing together to start a junior fashion line for Macy’s.

The title of the new line is fitting: Material Girl. Because, really, what else could Madonna’s daughter possibly be? Granted, she’s not sporting a bright pink gown and pearl accessories around town like her mother did in the video for the song of the same name. But, let’s be real. For a young girl barely out of childhood, the girl’s got taste. Thanks to the ever-present paparazzi, Lourdes has been spotted wearing outfits that could be featured in a photo spread. Leather fitted bomber jackets, pinstripe vests, high-top converse with skinny denim, teal blue fedoras, leg warmers, and bubble skirts are only a few examples in her mom-inspired fashion repertoire. So I would say she is an indefinite “Material girl.”

If your mother is someone like Madonna who has an envy-worth closet, it is sure to be raided. According to Madonna, Lourdes is already keen on swiping the most expensive and stylish pieces from her wardrobe. Part of me believes that Lourdes’ ability to dress so well stems from the fact that she has access to one of the world’s biggest celebrity’s closet. I can only imagine the contents inside. I envision a time capsule of Madonna’s famous on-stage costumes, red-carpets dresses, and music video get-ups, with the decades’ most coveted styles represented on every rack. Lourdes indefinitely has the inspiration from her famous mother on her side, lending a hand to her fabulous street attire.

Madonna has already designed and lent her name to a line for H&M, so the all-around artist has been in action in the fashion industry before. Now, with a legendary mother and here daughter dueling the junior fashion department together, sales are sure to soar. Lourdes has been taking the reigns during the design process, which has many buzzing about the normally feisty Madonna relinquishing power to her teenage daughter. Lourdes has been the leader in the sewing, designing, and choosing the fabrics, showing the signs of an aspiring fashion designer.

Having grown up around designers like Stella McCartney, Madonna’s first child has the intellect and artistry of the experienced behind her. She was introduced to haute couture showrooms at an early age and has seen firsthand the drawing boards of the best of the industry. With Madonna’s help and long array of famous contacts, Lourdes has learned only from the best. Perhaps this project for Macy’s is just another example of how parents will do anything for their children.

The line, being designed by the double threat, will be available for junior shoppers in August for the much-anticipated back-to-school shopping season. The lines’ designs will also be affordable for consumers, including accessories, shoes, and jewelry as well. The line will give Madonna fans and their children a chance to wear the clothes produced by an iconic team.

“Celebrity turned fashion designer” is a popular occurrence in the world of entertainment. Gwen Stefani, Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Simpson, Eve and Sean Combs are just a few celebrities who have dove into the fashion world, with much success as well. However, Madonna and Lourdes are the first mother-daughter team ready to design a successful line that I have seen as of late. Lourdes’ adolescence makes the venture unique, but it also makes me a little skeptical of the line itself. I wonder how much Lourdes could possibly know about fashion design at such a ripe age. However as I mentioned before, with an icon (and mother) like Madonna on your side, I suppose designing a junior fashion line is just another day in the life.

Photo credit: madonna.com