QU shifts to ‘green alert level’

Nicole McIsaac and Sydney Reynolds

Quinnipiac University shifted back to a ‘green alert campus level’ on April 13, in response to decreasing COVID-19 cases and as a result, loosened restrictions on campus.

“I think the attitude is we know a lot about COVID-19 now,” said Dr. David Hill, senior medical advisor of the COVID-19 task force. “Even though COVID-19 is knocking at our doors in the community and in the state, we feel that if students haven’t gotten (the message) now then they’re never going to get it. And, it seems that they have gotten the message about avoiding COVID-19.”

Connor Lawless

Hill said that despite seeing the impact of already implemented rules and guidelines, students should continue to have a mindset of working in partnership with one another to contain the spread of COVID-19 on campus.

“Let’s really work with that, let’s work with the assumption that we’re all in this together and all really focusing on this, and we can get it done,” Hill said. “Despite COVID-19 around our community, we can do this.”

In alignment with Hill’s beliefs, some students on campus are recognizing the strengthened efforts to protect the university’s community and the benefits that have followed from doing so.

“I think overall Quinnipiac has done a good job with COVID safety in comparison to a lot of my friend’s colleges,” said Nicole Bruder, a third-year 3+1 media studies major. “Anything can be improved, but I think they’re definitely on the safer side than others. I’m happy with how they’ve handled this whole thing.”

With the university being more knowledgeable on how to operate amid COVID-19 as well as having more community members vaccinated, other students are optimistic that the shift in campus alert levels will not harm the current campus environment.

“The number of COVID-19 cases are at a decent amount, but I believe with the semester closing out soon and not as many people are hanging out inside, the cases will start to go down more,” said Rebecca Siegel, a junior psychology major. “With more people getting vaccinated, hopefully the numbers will keep going down.”

However, on the other end of the spectrum, some students are more skeptical about the decision and do not feel that the Quinnipiac community is following all of the guidelines to combat COVID-19.

“The decision definitely makes me feel safer in the community, but I’m not sure if it was the smartest move,” said Frank Scott, a second-year 3+1 film, television and media arts major. “I do wish people still took the pandemic a little more seriously.”

Scott said he believes the rest of the semester’s safety is ensured with what little time there is left but is unsure that all students will continue to follow guidelines in order to do so.

“I get frustrated when I see students with their noses exposed or masks that clearly aren’t doing anyone any good, but that can’t really be helped,” Scott said. “For some reason, people think they’re immune now that vaccines exist. That’s a lie.”

In correlation to community members’ fears of reopening aspects of the university’s community, Hill said he doesn’t believe graduation ceremonies will be put at risk due to COVID-19 cases.

“We will look, and we can pivot quickly,” Hill said. “I don’t think we’re going to get out of control because of the robust testing we are doing.”

Students are expected to work with the university by receiving their weekly COVID-19 test and follow university guidelines to protect the Bobcat bubble. However, Hill said the students’ input never goes unnoticed.

“I hope the students have realized that we’re really working with you, together.” Hill said. “We’re all going through this together and listening to each other. We certainly have listened to the student voice this semester about what’s important to you and tried to make our decisions based on that.”