RAVE and WRECK of the week: March 1, 2010

RAVE of the week: ‘The Marriage Ref’

While not the greatest television series to grace the screen, NBC’s “The Marriage Ref” is fluffy entertainment at its finest. Hosted by comedian Tom Papa, “The Marriage Ref” showcases real-life married couples who publicly air their issues to a panel of celebrities for their thoughts. In the first episode, which aired during the final evening of the Vancouver Olympics, executive producer Jerry Seinfeld, along with special celebrity guests Alec Baldwin and Kelly Ripa, advised couples in need. Upcoming celebs that will take part include Ricky Gervais, Eva Longoria Parker, Larry David and Tina Fey. One couple featured, Kevin and Danielle, have been married for 14 years. Kevin’s dog, The Fonz, recently passed away and he wanted it stuffed so he would never have to part with his beloved pet. Danielle’s reaction in the facility where The Fonz would be stuffed was nothing short of hilarious. It is refreshing to see seemingly happy couples disagree on something and have it lightheartedly broadcast for the rest of America.

WRECK of the week: Jake chooses Vienna on ‘The Bachelor’

Among reality show contestants past and present, “Bachelor” winner Vienna Girardi is not one of the most popular, especially on the long-running ABC series. Girardi is sort of trashy and entertaining to watch, but not necessarily the go-to-gal viewers would have picked to win the heart of bachelor Jake Pavelka. She notoriously bragged to other women following her dates with Jake and put the image in their heads that Jake exceedingly preferred her to everyone else. This aggression and unnecessary cattiness only prompted hatred among others on the show. Specifically, newly announced “Bachelorette” Ali Fedotowsky, who placed fourth this season and left voluntarily to go back to work, lambasted Girardi on the show. Since the beginning of the season, Girardi has dealt with the controversy surrounding her quickie marriage and the publicized topless pictures of her that have been floating around the Internet. Whether Jake and Vienna last is up in the air; however, Jake’s 10-second pause after he was asked by host Chris Harrison if he was happy or not may answer it all.