The skinny on QU girls

There are plenty of stereotypes for Quinnipiac girls. We all own a BlackBerry, the standard brown UGG boots and a North Face. Our lives would be incomplete without Toad’s. Describe us as bitchy, slutty or cliquey, and I could come up with plenty of arguments to shoot you down. However, I have found one descriptive word that fits a large proportion of Quinnipiac girls: skinny.

Take a walk around campus and try to tell me you do not see at least 10 girls who are skinny, I mean tiny, people.  Now I am not saying this is necessarily a bad thing. Being overweight is a major problem in America and it is a positive sign that Quinnipiac does not reflect the statistics.  However, when I see girls walking around with sticks for legs, I cannot help but wonder what came first. If only I could ask: Were you this skinny before you came to the Q?

It is not fair for me to question others without admitting myself that I weigh less now that I am here. Granted, a few pounds are hardly a drastic change, but it still seems surprising after being warned of “The Freshman 15.” And that is the question I am trying to pose. Is Quinnipiac unique from other colleges? Is there a subliminal message we as girls pass on about body image?

Again, I’m not trying to say we should all go out and eat a cheeseburger. But if there is in fact pressure to be thin at this school, how many students are going about it the healthy way? I know there are numerous students who choose to exercise and eat right. I have found that it is easier in college to choose what to eat and find time to work out. However, it is also easier in college to hide an eating disorder or do a dangerous crash diet.

Everyone follows his or her own schedules in college, so a friend or roommate could lie and say, “Oh, no thanks, I ate already.” If you suspect someone you know has an eating disorder and you do not know how to approach them, there are steps the National Eating Disorders Association suggests. It is important to explain why you are concerned, recalling specific memories and how they tie into you worrying. If the statement causes a defensive blowup, do not fight back. Simply state again why you feel the way you do and that you are simply looking out for them. Do not blame the person or make them feel guilty; trying to leave out the accusing word “you.” The most important thing to remember is to be there to talk with your friend, because there is not a simple solution to the way they feel. Saying something like, “Just eat!” is not going to help.

If you are on the opposite end and feel you want to lose a few pounds before spring break, be patient by eating healthy and exercising. Diet pills can have many adverse side effects, including pounding headaches, abdominal pain, severe stomach problems, depression and heart complications. Pooping your pants is a common side effect of the over-the-counter pill Alli. But I digress. My point is that it may take longer to get your desired weight by doing it the right way, but it is the best way to maintain a healthy weight. Like anything in life, how much time you put in will affect what you get out of any situation.

Most importantly, do not let another girl’s figures make you feel inferior. If there is one truth our reputation does hold, Quinnipiac girls are hot, regardless of their number on the scale.