UPDATE: Investigators say no threat to public after body is found on trail in Cheshire

[media-credit name=”Alexis Guerra/Chronicle” align=”alignright” width=”368″][/media-credit]Investigators believe there is no threat to the public after a body was discovered along the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail in Cheshire early Tuesday, Feb. 19.

Officers responded to the scene and located the body of an unidentified white female approximately 70 feet from the trail, down an embankment, according to a Cheshire PD press release.

The investigation was initiated by Cheshire Police Department between School House Road and West Johnson Avenue after receiving a complaint of “suspicious items” in the area, later discovered to be an “untimely death.” The State Police Major Crimes Division was called in to assist in the investigation after the Cheshire Police Detective Bureau did a preliminary investigation, according to the press release.

The investigation is ongoing and awaiting the report from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, according to the press release. Cheshire Police Department is not actively looking for any other involved parties at this time. The trail reopened around 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 19 after being closed that afternoon for the investigation.

The area under investigation is about 9.5 miles from the Mount Carmel campus.

Stay with The Chronicle for further updates.

UPDATED: Feb. 20 at 4:11 p.m.