A glimpse inside the Trump administration

It is no secret that the presidency of Donald Trump is an unusual one.

His presidency has featured countless attacks on the media, the use of Twitter for his public quarrels and has divided our country to the point where his own officials are working against him.

Yes, senior officials in the Trump administration are working against the president.

An anonymous op-ed published in the New York Times details that “many of the senior officials in his own administration are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.”

The official notes that the country is “bitterly divided” over Trump’s leadership.

But what I found interesting is this resistance is not a matter of political views. It is more of a matter of morality.

“To be clear, ours is not the popular ‘resistance’ of the left,” the anonymous official wrote. “We want the administration to succeed and think that many of its policies have already made America safer and more prosperous. But we believe our first duty is to this country, and the president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic.”

The problem with Trump’s presidency is not the party in control. Even though he was elected as a Republican, the official notes that Trump doesn’t fully support some key conservative ideals.

“The president shows little affinity for ideals long espoused by conservatives: free minds, free markets and free people,” the official wrote. “At best, he has invoked these ideals in scripted settings. At worst, he has attacked them outright.”

Trump’s quick trigger to call any negative news story about him or his presidency “Fake News” falls under this category.

What may be even worse, he has now brought that term into everyday language.

Now, rather than the media being a check on the government, it has been attacked by the institution.

The problem is, we have a president who is more worried about how he is portrayed in the press than uniting our country.

Trump lacks a certain morality and set of values that I’d like to believe most of us Americans have.

“The root of the problem is the president’s amorality,” the official wrote. “Anyone who works with him knows he is not moored to any discernible first principles that guide his decision making.”

Personally, I find this extremely concerning.

The person holding the most powerful position in the world doesn’t have any concrete principles that guide his decision making?

The official speaks about Trump’s soft spot for dictators like Russia’s Vladimir Putin and his lack of appreciation for our actual allied nations.

Not only that, but he speaks on how many White House aides have been cast as villains to the media. However, the official calls them the “unsung heroes in and around the White House.”

“It may be cold comfort in this chaotic era, but Americans should know that there are adults in the room,” the official wrote. “We fully recognize what is happening. And we are trying to do what’s right even when Donald Trump won’t.”

When officials are realizing that Trump is not doing the right things when it comes to the treatment of our allies and are calling his presidency “a two-track presidency” it is obvious that there is something wrong.

With the unfortunate and untimely death of Sen. John McCain, one of the few high ranking government officials who would publicly challenge the president, there has to be others who step up to fill that role.

“We may no longer have Senator McCain,” the official wrote. “But we will always have his example – a lodestar for restoring honor to public life and our national dialogue. Mr. Trump may fear such honorable men, but we should revere them.”

Still, this isn’t something that we can only rely on elected officials to handle.

Trump’s presidency has divided us as a country.

Rather than focusing on political views, we should all focus on having the morality and decision making principles that this senior official believes Trump lacks.

We as a country and Americans are bigger than one person. Even if that one person is the president.

The official writes, “The real difference will be made by everyday citizens rising above politics, reaching across the aisle and resolving to shed the labels in favor of a single one: Americans.”

Americans.

Not republicans.

Not democrats.

Americans.

It’s time we rise above the political differences that are tearing our country apart.

I believe we are all better than that.