Super Tuesday Wrap Up: Republicans

Super Tuesday resulted in the completion of the super upset last week as Senator John McCain took the most delegates and broke away from the Republican pack. Only a month ago, it was doubtful McCain would be in the position he would be in now.

McCain’s win was so significant it knocked one time presidential hopeful Mitt Romney out of the race, as he ceased his campaign operations.

McCain came away with 602 delegates, while Romney and Mike Huckabee took 201 and 152 respectively. Although Huckabee received less delegates than Romney he has decided to continue his run for the Republican Party nomination.

“For us to suddenly act like we have to all step aside and have a coronation instead of an election, that’s the antithesis of everything Republicans are supposed to believe,” Huckabee told a morning talk show.

Junior political science major and member of QU Republicans Andy Clark has known who he likes for the Republican Party nomination for quite some time.

“I’m from New Hampshire so I voted back in January on the ‘First in The Nation Primary’ for Senator John McCain,” Clark said.

“I feel as though Senator McCain has the most experience on issues of foreign affairs and national security. He also is guided by conservative priciples with a belief on fixing problems such as Social Security and immigration.”

In Connecticut McCain won 52 percent of the vote, while Huckabee came in a distant third with 7 percent.

After Super Tuesday Huckabee began picking up steam by taking Kansas and Louisiana on Feb. 9. Overall, McCain remains in a commanding lead with 723 delegates in his favor. Huckabee is follows behind him with 217.

After Super Tuesday, Clark gets the impression that the Quinnipiac campus is split in their decision between voting for the two parties. Clark feels that it “is unusual at most campuses” to have that sort of split.

“Most younger crowds are generally pretty liberal,” Clark said.

The Washington D.C., Maryland, and Virginia Reupublican primaries took place yesterday, past The Chronicle’s Monday deadline.