A bad case of senioritis

Everyone gets it and there is no cure in sight. It only gets worse as the graduation creeps up and there is nothing that can be done about it. No, we’re not talking a deadly disease, we’re talking about senioritis.

There is no one set definition as to what senioritis is, but a common theme is that it deals with a lack of motivation, senior International Business major Andrew Videira said. “Senioritis has to do with a lack of motivation to do work because you know that no matter what happens, you’re still going to graduate.” People experience it at different times as well. It can start as early as November for some people and as late as March for others.

Senior public relations major Gary Slate agrees. “Senioritis is an excuse for seniors who do not want to do their tests or homework anymore. It deals with a lack of motivation,” he said.

Seniors experience Senioritis at different times. “I believe it really came on strong after returning from spring break,” Slate said. For other, it strikes when future plans are cemented.

“I have a job after I graduate and once I secured that, I noticed it really set in,” Videira said. “I think the people on the edge have a reason to care.”

Senior public relations major Kyle Taylor defines Senioritis as, “When all four years of college caught up with you and you’re just tired of writing papers and studying for tests.”

There is a clear link between what seniors are doing after school and senioritis. “I have investigated a few options after Quinnipiac. It is my every intention to pursue a master’s degree in international relations at American University,” Slate said.

Senior entry-level masters physician’s assistant (ELMPA) major Andrew Turzcak has two-and-a-half more years of school after graduation and feels the effects of Senioritis, but knows he cannot stop working.

“I feel it the most when I have a paper due or a test to study for, I really just don’t want to do anything but go out and cut loose,” he said. “I feel it the most when I have a lot to do. Monday through Thursday it is the heaviest. Friday and Saturday it isn’t bad, but then on Sunday it starts creeping back because you know it will be in full effect on Monday.”

Most seniors say their best advice is to keep on trucking and to remember that there is an end in sight.

Senioritis affects most students at some point, but, like a virus, there are no antibiotics to treat it, it just needs to run its course.