What’s on the menu?

By Kristen Altmeyer, Samantha Bashaw and Adrianna Lovegrove

Find yourself getting tired of Chartwells’ breakfast foods? Well we have the answer. Three Chronicle writers explored local restaurants in search of a better alternative. So get your appetites ready because these places prove that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Acropolis Diner

[media-credit id=2184 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]Acropolis Diner, located on Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, serves breakfast, lunch and dinner 24/7.

When I walked in, the aesthetic was super groovy. They had orange and brown leather seats with fluorescent red lights on the ceiling. They even gave placemats that have history facts on Ancient Greece to tie in the “Acropolis” theme.

On top of the far-out style of the restaurant, the food tasted really good too. First off, the food arrived at the same time, which is actually pretty stellar. Second, that Belgian waffle with blueberries was out of this world. It was so crispy on the outside, but the inside was like biting into a cloud. It was so good that I get the post-food blues just thinking about it.

The Oreo pancakes were a bit underwhelming. It was not disgusting by any means, and it could be that I was just full, but I was consumed by the urge to go “meh.” But don’t let that stop you from trying it, the waitress did say that customers love those pancakes.

The home fries are always a classic at any breakfast spot and these definitely delivered. They were great doused in ketchup alongside the scrambled eggs and chocolate chip pancakes.

The food tasted really good but it wasn’t anything mind blowing. It was just normal breakfast for a decent price. Overall, I really liked this diner and I would rate it a solid seven out of 10. -Adrianna Lovegrove

The Brownstone House

[media-credit id=2167 align=”alignright” width=”225″][/media-credit]“Where all friends meet.” This tagline was the trademark of the Brownstone House Restaurant, your destination for a fantastic homestyle breakfast.

When I entered the small diner located on Whitney Avenue, there was barely any room to walk, as it was also swamped with guests receiving their breakfast fix. However, we were seated quickly, the smells of home fries and coffee quickly making my mouth water.

The environment of Brownstone made it easy for us to enter conversation and it was quickly noted that a mix of regulars and college students were the customer basis. My large appetite called for an order of the country eggs benedict, a dish that could rarely do no wrong in my mind.

In impressive timing, another friendly waitress came by with a dish loaded to the brim with the steaming eggs Benedict and side of golden home fries. Naturally, I had to get the beautiful meal on my Snapchat before completely devouring it.

The hollandaise sauce, arguably my favorite part of the meal, was smothered over the combination of perfectly poached eggs, sausage patty and toasted english muffin. Everything was cooked to perfection and the homey atmosphere and speedy service only made my experience that much better.

Although I would have enjoyed a bit more leg room, this hometown treasure of Brownstone was truly a golden find. -Samantha Bashaw

The Breakfast Nook

[media-credit id=2208 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]Looking for a homier atmosphere than the dining hall? Look no further than The Breakfast Nook.

Located a quick 15 minute drive from campus in North Haven, you won’t be hungry for long.

This adorable diner is bound to satisfy all of your homesickness. The décor was aligned with roosters a plenty, and complemented the yellow and red walls.It had all of the classic breakfast and lunch foods for a reasonable price, too. The menu had a wide variety of breakfasts for even the pickiest eater. From scrambled eggs, homemade corn beef hash, home fries and an abundance of different muffins: everyone will be satisfied.

With the crisp fall air coming around, the menu had options to satisfy your pumpkin spice needs. Warm pumpkin muffins served with a side of butter are an option to warm you up on a cold day.

Aside from the food being delicious, the service was just as good. The whole staff checked tables frequently and there was never an empty glass at the table. When my friends and I requested a check be split five ways, which can be a pain for most servers, the wait staff at this small eatery was not fazed by it one bit.

The Breakfast Nook was the perfect way to treat myself and simultaneously have a break from the dining hall food. If you need a little reviving from a wild Friday night, this place will give you fuel for the rest of the weekend. -Kristen Altmeyer