‘300’ is visually appealing, but not for weak stomachs

Zack Snyder’s film “300” is an action war epic of the real life battle between the Spartans and the Persians. Three hundred of Spartans’ finest warriors face the Persian army against incredible odds while fighting for their state. Although the Spartans are outnumbered by thousands, their determination and pride aid them in the fierce battles they encounter.

The directing and cinematography in this movie is unique and incredibly entertaining; each scene looks as though it came right out of a painting. This effect is the highlight of the film and is what sets it apart from your average fighting scene. The use of slow motion in the film is used frequently, but appropriately during many of the fighting scenes. The lighting, special effects and even the use of the color red to accentuate the soldier’s uniforms add to the visually stimulating look of the movie.

Gerard Butler plays the Spartan king, the epitome of the overconfident Spartan warrior who will do anything for his men and his state. He does an accurate portrayal of his character, as does his captain, Vincent Regan. Each character adds to the “in your face” intensity which resides in the fighting, acting, directing and storyline in general.

Although the film is visually stunning, at times the line between reality and idealism is blurred and causes you to question the motive or purpose in certain fantastical creatures. It seems that the purpose of these creatures is to create a mythical atmosphere and prove that the story has become half fantasy over years of telling it. Regardless, it seems to stop the flow of the film while you are asking yourself where the rhino and the man with lobster claws came from in the middle of a fight scene.

Apart from the strange scenes, you find yourself rooting for this incredibly prideful and overly confident band of soldiers who never give up and are able to rise above obstacles no one thought they’d survive. It keeps you in suspense and has you cheering for the band of men fighting for their freedom and their state.

The attempt to make the Spartan men seem as masculine and powerful as possible might take away from the movie. At times it can be a little over the top. When you have extremely fit men with no shirts fighting in a battle scene, you really don’t need to butch them up any farther.

If you can get past the mythical creatures and the level of manliness in the warriors, you will probably enjoy the film, especially if you love great war films and violent gory fight scenes. If you can’t really get into battle scenes and have a weak stomach, you’d be best to skip this one.