Chronicle Exclusive: May Weekend ’07 performers promise to please

This year’s May Weekend performers have been announced: the comedians from the TV show “Whose Line Is It Anyway” have been chosen to entertain QU students at Friday’s main stage.

The decision came from the Student Government Association after it had carefully weighed its options with several performers. The first consideration was the percentage of the vote received in a student survey that was taken by 1,001 students in November. Seventy-two percent of the students surveyed voted that they would attend a performance from the “Whose Line” comedians of Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood.

This act narrowly edged out other acts like Brand New, New Found Glory, Ben Folds and Jimmy Eat World, which all received more than 55 percent in the voting.

There was also a $40,000 budget for the main stage, and several other performers that were considered were not available due to scheduling conflicts. Comedian Bob Saget, for example, received 57 percent of the voting and fell within the price range, but was not available for that specific day and time. Dee Mastronardi, the vice president of programming for the SGA, thinks students will really enjoy the performance of the “Whose Line” comedians.

“I’m really excited about it and I think students are going to like them a lot,” Mastronardi said. “It’s a really interactive show and I’ve heard good things from all the other schools they’ve performed at.”

As with May Weekends of past years, there will be performers for much of the day on Friday and Saturday in addition to the main act of Friday night. The quad will be open Friday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. So far, only three bands have been confirmed, but more will be announced in the coming weeks.

Quinnipiac’s own Stone Quarries secured a time slot by winning the Battle of the Bands competition. Another local act, Mean Carlene, will be playing as well. Rounding out the list of confirmed acts is Elvis White, whose music has more of an R&B flavor, as opposed to the other two pop/rock groups. This diversity of bands is no accident, as the SGA plans to schedule acts that will appeal to the entire range of students’ interests.

“We really want to do something different to reach out to a broader audience at Quinnipiac,” Mastronardi said. “We’re trying to mix it up a little this year and add some variety.”