North Lot update joins renovations

Parking spots at Quinnipiac University will soon become even harder to come by.

The university intends to add another project to its already lengthy list of things to improve. A section of North Lot will be reconstructed over the summer, said Ron Colavolpe, the Assistant Chief for Parking and Transportation.

Students attending summer classes “will be able to park on the west side of the guard shack and in the Visitor Lot, if necessary,” Colavolpe said.

He believes that motor vehicle traffic will not be a problem for students attending summer classes.

“Summer class traffic should not be affected at all. We will have a security officer in the guard house to direct students where they can park and a mobile unit to monitor traffic,” he said.

The university plans to dig up all of the asphalt east of the guard shack and repave the road. The purpose of the project is to get rid of all the cracks and potholes in the road. The university hopes these changes will improve driving conditions for students and facilitate a safer and more efficient traffic pattern.

Some students have mixed feelings about the purpose of the project.

“I can see why it’s a good idea, because it would make it easier to drive in a brand new parking lot with no cracks,” said Kathleen Hessman, a sophomore broadcast journalism major. “But I think it’s a waste of money because the parking lot is perfectly fine right now. I don’t see why they would want to dig it up just to fix a few cracks.”

Although the project is still in a tentative state, Colavolpe said that the university plans to start it within the first two weeks of June. He said that it should take no longer than two weeks to complete. Therefore, students should be able to return after the summer without encountering problems with ongoing construction.

Not all students mind the time period during which the project is scheduled to take place. “As long as the construction is done over the summer and doesn’t interfere with parking once classes resume, I see it as a benefit to the students,” said Kaitlyn Yeager, a sophomore print journalism major and a commuter.

Hessman, however, sympathizes with those students who will be attending classes during the summer. “Where are they going to park while this is going on?” she asked.

Colavolpe said that the university also wants to redesign the parking spaces near the athletic fields. Instead of facing east to west as they currently do, the new parking spots will face north to south. Although it is just an idea for now, the purpose of this plan is to create a better traffic pattern and also add a few additional spots to that area of the parking lot.

The cost of the project has yet to be determined, Colavolpe said.