Quinnipiac to host 2019 Women’s Frozen Four

[media-credit name=”Chronicle File Photo” align=”alignright” width=”300″]frozen4[/media-credit]

Hamden will once again get a taste of the Frozen Four as High Points Solutions Arena is set to host the 2019 NCAA National Collegiate Women’s Ice Hockey Championship.

The NCAA announced the host sites for both the Men’s and Women’s Frozen Fours for 2019-2022 on Tuesday. The 2019 Women’s Frozen Four will take place from March 22-24.

“We are honored to be chosen as hosts of the NCAA National Collegiate Women’s Ice Hockey Championship for the second time,” Quinnipiac Director of Athletics and Recreation Greg Amodio said in a press release. “We hope to provide the same championship experience as we did in 2014 and excited to start the planning process.”

The university hosted the 2014 Frozen Four in which Clarkson, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Mercyhurst duked it out for the national title. Clarkson topped Minnesota in the championship game in front of a crowd of 3,573 to claim the school’s first title in any sport.

“We are thrilled that Quinnipiac has once again been selected to host the NCAA Women’s Frozen Four,” ECAC Hockey Commissioner Steve Hagwell said. “The selection is a great testament to Quinnipiac as a first-class institution and host.”

The NCAA states that it selects hosts based on the environment the sites provide for student athletes as well as their adherence to NCAA bid specifications, including providing optimal facilities, transportation to the locations and lodging.

“We are certain the 2019 Frozen Four will be a tremendous experience for the participants, and everyone involved in attending the event,” Hagwell said.

Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey made back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances in 2015 and 2016 before missing out in 2017. The last time the Bobcats hosted the Frozen Four, the team went 23-6-9 before falling to No. 2 Clarkson, 6-0, in the ECAC semifinals.

On the men’s side, the NCAA announced the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, Connecticut as one of the 2018 regional sites for the Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship. The other sites are the DCU Center in Worcester, Massachusetts, the PREMIER Center in Sioux Falls, North Dakota and PPL Center in Allentown, Pennsylvania.