Letter to the Editor: New arena opening exciting, but flawed

The TD Banknorth Sports Center is an absolutely fantastic facility, helping take Quinnipiac University into a new era of athletics, as well as into a new era of community involvement. As I understand it, there eventually will even be high school tournaments held there, and possibly other events in which Quinnipiac will be the host, even if not a participant. Many of the people in the sections behind the goal at the end of the rink where the Quinnipiac goalies are located in the first and third periods, were from Hamden (myself included) and surrounding towns.

My wife and I took three hockey-loving grandsons to the Sunday game with Holy Cross. All of us had a great time -before, during, and after the game. Prior to the doors opening at noon, we took a walk and enjoyed the vistas, touched the bronze bobcat’s paw for good luck, and met many friends from the Hamden Youth Hockey Association who have also bought season tickets for men’s hockey. The pre-game ceremonies featuring all-time hockey great Gordie Howe, were superb. The game itself.well, a 7-0 win is pretty impressive. Afterward, Boomer the Bobcat posed for pictures and signed “pawtographs.” All the players -still in uniform –stayed to meet their fans, sign autographs, and have their pictures taken. President Lahey was there, too, thanking the players for their outstanding efforts. To cap things off, Chartwell’s gave away all the leftover hot dogs, soft pretzels, and popcorn!

There are a few improvements I’d like to suggest: (1) The house announcer should practice pronouncing “Quinnipiac”-it is NOT “Quinni-PEE-ac”! (2) The “tradition” of students shouting, “SUCKS!” after each visiting team player is announced should be ended. (3) It would be great to have an “instant replay” video system on giant TV panels. (4) Season ticket fans who do not plan to attend a game (or others who have tickets they cannot use) should somehow make their tickets available to students (for free!) -there were many empty seats at Sunday’s sold-out game.

The Athletic Department staffers, the people from Security, Facilities, and Chartwell’s,and everyone else involved Sunday, did a great job helping to ensure that “a good time was had by all.” We look forward to the remaining events this season at the TD Banknorth Sports Center, and plan to be season ticket holders again next season!

-Kenn Venit
Adjunct Associate Professor
School of Communications