QU community remembers life of Robert Bruce

The Quinnipiac community came together Friday, Jan. 26 to celebrate the life of Robert Bruce, a freshman who died Dec. 23 due to injuries sustained in a car crash in Maine.

The ceremony began at 4 p.m. in Buckman Theater, where students, faculty, family and friends gathered to honor and celebrate the memories of Bruce’s life.

Bruce was a freshman from Lewiston, Maine. He was often called “Bruce” by many of his friends and peers. Bruce was majoring in broadcast journalism and made the Dean’s List his first semester.

He enjoyed sports such as basketball and football; the Boston Celtics were his favorite team. He spent his time at Quinnipiac making new friends – something which was evident by the number of students who attended the ceremony.

Cheryl Barnard, Associate Dean of Students and instructor of QU 101, had the opportunity of having Bruce in class and spoke during the ceremony.

“Robert was one of those students that I knew I’d feel the same amount of pride as his parents when we would watch him walk across the graduation stage after his time here,” Barnard said. “He was a student that always had a smile on his face; he was a kind and gentle soul. One always hopes for a student like Robert.”

Two of Bruce’s roommates also spoke at the ceremony about their memories of his life.

“I remember when I fell in love with the Boston Celtics. It was after coming to Quinnipiac; Bruce’s love for the team made me love them, too,” freshman Chris Robblee said. “He was the happiest kid I knew. Not one of the happiest, the happiest.”

James Conroy, another one of Bruce’s roommates, also spoke of his memories about the good times they shared.

“The way he lived each day is one of a kind. He never worried about anything,” Conroy said. “His personality and outlook on life made our room and probably the entire hall a better place.”

Freshman Lauren Jamieson met Bruce at orientation and developed a strong friendship during her time here with him.

“Bruce could light up a room. I don’t think I ever saw him not smiling; he really knew how to bring people’s spirits up,” Jamieson said. “He was my first friend at orientation and gave me a great impression of Quinnipiac.

“I don’t think I’ll ever know anyone like him, but I do know that although his life ended short, he lived every day to the fullest.”

At the ceremony there was a vase containing 19 sunflowers beneath a picture of Bruce that was located in the front of the theater. Cheryl Barnard brought attention to them at the end of her speech.

“There are 19 sunflowers here. One each to symbolize a year of joy he brought for everyone,” Barnard said.

According to the School of Communications January newsletter, the school will be sending out a joint contribution to the Robert Bruce Scholarship Fund at Lewiston High School in Bruce’s hometown.

Students who want to contribute can drop donations off in the lobby of the Ed McMahon Mass Communications Center. As the newsletter explained, if each communications student were to donate one dollar, the fund would have more than one thousand dollars.