Stars shine at SAG Awards

The 13th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards was held at the Los Angeles Shrine Exposition Center and aired simultaneously on TNT and TBS.

The night started off with a win for actress Helen Mirren for Best Actress in a TV/Miniseries for Elizabeth I. No host, meant no comedy; that was until Steve Carell came to the stage to accept the award for Outstanding Cast in a TV Comedy for “The Office,” which was presented by the entire cast of the TV classic “The Mary Tyler Moore Show.” Carell said: “Webster’s definition of ensemble is, ‘a complete costume of complimentary clothing and accessories.’ Even though this isn’t the real definition of ensemble, I think it describes our cast.”

Midway through the show, Anne Hathaway started a tribute to Julie Andrews, who was being honored with the Life Achievement Award (the two actresses worked together on “The Princess Diaries”), and received a standing ovation long before accepting her award on stage. Her co-Star in “Mary Poppins,” Dick Van Dyke, presented the award to Julie, and she received a second standing ovation.

Outstanding Actress in a TV Drama went to a visibly excited Chandra Wilson for her role as Dr. Miranda Bailey in “Grey’s Anatomy,” who thanked all ten of her cast mates and “the one in rehab,” referring to co-star Isaiah Washington. She graced the stage a second time with the cast of “Grey’s Anatomy” to accept the Outstanding Cast in a TV Drama Award. Ellen Pompeo gave the speech and thanked the rest of the cast who couldn’t make it, mistakenly saying Kate Walsh (Addison Montgomery-Shepherd), who was standing behind her, and then blanked, asking for help from her co-stars.

The last award of the night, Outstanding Cast in a Movie, was quite the “little” surprise. “Little Miss Sunshine” took home the award, beating the favorite, “Dreamgirls.”

The Screen Actors Guild Awards have become one of the industry’s most prized honors. Rumor has it that once an actor wins a Golden Globe Award, they are a shoe-in for the coveted Oscar. However, that doesn’t always prove true. It is when an actor receives a SAG Award that they are most likely to win the Oscar as well.

Below is a list of the winners in the most essential categories.

WINNERS:

Best Actor in TV/Miniseries – Jeremy Irons for “Elizabeth I”

Outstanding Actor in a TV Comedy – Alec Baldwin for “30 Rock”

Outstanding Actress in a TV Comedy – America Ferrera for “Ugly Betty”

Outstanding Actor in a TV Drama – Hugh Laurie for “House”

Outstanding Performance by a Supporting Actress – Jennifer Hudson for “Dreamgirls”

Outstanding Performance by a Supporting Actor – Eddie Murphy for “Dreamgirls”

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role – Forest Whitaker for “The Last King of Scotland”

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role – Helen Mirren for “The Queen”