Sorority hits the runway to fight domestic violence

Quinnipiac University students turned out by the hundreds for a fashion show to support domestic violence awareness on Oct. 20.

The fashion show, sponsored by Alpha Chi Omega and organized by Tara O’Rourke, the sorority’s fundraising chair, was held in honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Proceeds from the event will benefit the Greater New Haven Domestic Violence Shelter.

The show, which was held in Alumni Hall at 7 p.m., drew quite a bit of attention from the student body, which filled the venue for the event.

“It is such a great thing that so many people are coming out to support the fight against domestic violence,” said Danielle Barbarich, Vice President of Fraternity Relations.

The show featured models from Alpha Chi Omega, the fraternities, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Tau Kappa Epsilon and players from the Quinnipiac men’s baseball and lacrosse teams.

All of the clothing was provided by stores and boutiques in New Haven including Wish List, Trail Blazer, Greg’s Tailor, Seychelle’s and Zaccariello’s formal wear.

In addition to the fashion show, the evening’s festivities included a half-hour live performance by the local band, “The Colony,” which included Quinnipiac senior Mike Fagioli. Clothes and handbags from Beyonce Knowles’ new clothing line, “House of Dereon,” were given away in a raffle whose proceeds also went benefit the domestic violence shelter.

Student reaction to the event was very positive.

“It was a lot of fun, and the guys looked good,” said freshman Colleen Ledbetter.

Freshman Brittni Wellersdick also voiced her approval.

“I think it was a great idea for a fundraiser,” she said. “It looked like everyone was having a lot of fun.”

Above all, all of the students and parents in attendance left the fashion show knowing that their money went to a good cause.

At least $800 was raised for the charity, bringing the sorority’s total donation to the shelter to over $18,000. The rest of the money was raised during Frisbee Fest, another event held by the sorority earlier this month to benefit the same cause.