It’s time to care

Its time to care

Recently I have gotten more interested in learning about food. I’ve been a vegetarian for most of my life and was usually the kid eating plain pasta or mac and cheese at parties and barbeques. Since then I’ve been making better choices when picking out my food, mostly in fear of gaining more weight on top of the freshman fifteen. I knew that this year the snacking needed to stop.

We aren’t taught to question our food, therefore we buy and eat what we think tastes good. The whole process seems so simple I think we have grown oblivious to what we are really putting in our bodies. Most of us have a basic understanding about what is “good for us” and what is “bad for us,, but there is so much more to it. We are the perfect generation to start really understanding what we are eating. We have more food options on the shelves than ever before and as we creep into our late twenties and thirties, what will we be feeding our children?

Processed foods are no joke, and I think we often forget that we are animals too. We were built to eat the food that this planet grows for us. We wonder why we are gaining weight or developing health problems but these can all link back to our diet. For your health and the environment consider giving what you put on your plate a second thought. It doesn’t have to taste bland or consist completely of fruits and vegetables. It’s as simple as making a conscious choice before you eat.

Here at Quinnipiac eating clean is not an easy task. Due to the recent cafe renovations I have been pleasantly surprised to see stations offering more “healthier” options. Eating healthy in college can still be a struggle. Our parents are no longer cooking us meals and we are left to fend for ourselves in the café. It’s true that there are more unhealthy choices than there are healthy. From fried foods to all-day pancakes, it’s easy to give in and go for what sounds better. What I’ve learned from my freshman year was to try and create meals by picking out different sides from various stations and grabbing fruit or yogurt instead of chips. The days I ate the mac and cheese bites were the days I felt tired and as a result, unmotivated. The better food you feed your body the better you will feel. Your mood will improve and what I’ve found to be the most beneficial side of eating healthier is that I’m less tired. I can get more done throughout my day and not worry about needing a nap after class.

If you take away anything from reading this let it be that eating healthy doesn’t have to be hard. Start slow and with time you’ll crave a smoothie instead of chips.