College students hold keys to Woodie Awards

If you’re one of those so-called music junkies who prefers the lesser known bands compared to those that are mainstream, than mtvU is probably your best alternative to MTV. MtvU focuses on content including music videos from emerging artists which can’t be seen anywhere else. Broadcasting to 750 colleges across the country with a combined enrollment of over seven million, mtvU is the largest, most comprehensive television network just for college students.

For the past two years, mtvU has broadcasted the Woodie Awards, an award show that allows its college viewers to cast their vote for categories such as “Breaking Woodie” (Best Emerging Artist), “Left Field Woodie” (Most Original Artist) and more, including probably the most coveted Woodie of all, “Woodie of the Year” (Artist of the Year). The winners of these categories and more will be announced at a live concert event that will be held at Roseland Ballroom in New York City on Oct. 25.

“The artists know how important their college fans are,” said Ross Martin, head of programming at mtvU. “The college students are paying homage to the artists by voting and getting them nominated, and at the same time at the concert the artists are paying homage to the students.”

All 50 nominated artists reflect those of college students’ interests.

“The artists are chosen by how often the artists’ music and videos are streamed over the internet, or how often they appear on our countdowns on TV, which include the Dean’s List and The Freshmen,” Martin said.

Those who wish to take part in future nominations can log on to mtvU.com and vote for their favorite artists to get them on the countdowns.

Some notable artists have emerged over the past two years, including fan favorites Fall Out Boy and The Killers. Label mates of Fall Out Boy are also nominated in this year’s Woodie Awards including Gym Class Heroes, Panic! At the Disco and The Academy Is, all signed to Fueled By Ramen/Atlantic Records.

“I’ll definitely be hoping that Panic! At the Disco wins Artist of the Year because their tunes are catchy and their lyrics are quotable. They’re not like most bands out there, which is cool,” sophomore Ashley Schneider said.

A contrasting opinion in that particular category comes from another sophomore, Christina Ferrante.

“Gym Class Heroes are so much different than any other band. Their sound is different, and their look is different..It would be so nice if they could get recognized,” Ferrante said.

The awards ceremony will feature college students in front of and behind the camera and behind the scenes as they honor, present and introduce their favorite music and artists. In order to vote and to see a full list of the nominees, students are to log on to mtvU.com before Oct. 20.

The Woodie Awards aren’t the only thing mtvU is proud of. MtvU, along with General Electric, announced a partnership to inspire college students to make a meaningful environmental impact on their campuses and beyond. The team of students that provides the most impact will receive $25,000 toward their idea and their school will also receive an mtvU Earth Day concert and festival in spring 2007, complete with performances from top emerging artists on the college music scene.

College students are encouraged to visit www.ecocollegechallenge.com to register for the competition, learn more about ways to make an impact on their college campus and begin developing their proposals. The deadline for submissions is Dec. 1, 2006. MtvU and GE will then pick its top 10.

The finalists’ multimedia proposals will be profiled in January on the mtvU GE Ecomagination Challenge Web site and select projects will also be featured on mtvU, broadband channel mtvU