Take your time

Nothing is set in stone when you come to college. High schools try to implant the thought into students’ minds that they should know what they want to do with the rest of their life by the time they are 18. That’s not fair.

At 18 years old, not everyone is certain of what they want to do with their lives. I sure enough didn’t. Coming into college, I was a biomedical student and I am graduating a communications/journalism major. Two majors on two different ends of the spectrum.

College is the time to explore and prepare yourself for the next step in the real world. There is no need to rush into what you think you might do. Your life isn’t a ticking time bomb; there is no need to stress what you have time to prepare for.

You have four years to decide what you want to do and excel in it. I decided in the beginning of my junior year that I would become a journalism major and everything took off after that. I worked hard in the classroom, gained leadership positions in different organizations and gained experience with student media.

Because of those opportunities, internships and job offers became more present. I would never be in the position I am in if I didn’t mess up early in my college career. But it goes to show that it’s okay to mess up because you have time to correct it.

Nothing is set in stone so don’t write chapter four of your book if you are still working on chapter one.