Don’t be afraid to get involved

The Chronicle was the first organization I joined at Quinnipiac. I was your typical freshman who was not quite sure how to get involved and a little bit scared to join anything. Having been on the newspaper staff in high school, I figured why not at least try it here. I went to the Involvement Fair, put my name down on the sheet and somehow found myself showing up to a staff meeting. I started coming in to the media suite once a week, doing some layout, but that was about it. At the end of freshman year, I was encouraged to join e-board and for some reason I decided sure, why not?

The first half of sophomore year I had begun to get closer with the rest of the e-board, but I still wasn’t sure what everyone meant when they said The Chronicle was like your second family. Sure, these people were my friends, but I just didn’t understand what was so great about it. I then went abroad for a semester, decided to apply for e-board again and that’s when I got very close with everyone, and I can honestly say that these people have become another family to me. I understand it may seem cliché, but this year’s e-board are people I know I can count on and have become some of my very close friends.

As my time here comes to a close, I just want to leave all of you with some advice. Don’t be afraid to get involved, especially in organizations you wouldn’t expect. College is a time when you can do anything you want, make mistakes and learn from them and really figure out who you are. These organizations that you join, and the people you meet through them, are what help shape you. I wouldn’t change my college experience for anything, and The Chronicle has brought me people that I know will be in my life for quite some time and gave me memories I will never forget.