University to repair extensive damage to Commons, Complex

The Hamden Police Department and Public Safety are investigating cases of vandalism on campus in Commons and Complex, according to Associate Vice President for Public Relations John Morgan.

[media-credit name=”Snapchat courtesy Robert Beer” align=”alignright” width=”188″]12321523_608048289347129_3659786530424076819_n[/media-credit]

Windows were smashed in Complex, while ceiling tiles on the first and second floors of Commons were broken, Morgan said. Photos from students show pieces of ceiling tiles scattered down the hallways in Commons.

The damages were found around 1:15 a.m. on Friday, Morgan said. He said Facilities is working to repair the damages. The cost of the repairs is not yet known, according to Morgan.

This is not the first time students have damaged residence halls. Students and administration were frustrated with vandalism in Commons in the spring semester of 2013. There were also 38 reported acts of vandalism in all the residence halls from February 2015 to May 2015, according to Public Safety’s monthly crime reports.  

Vice President for Facilities and Capital Planning Sal Filardi said at Wednesday’s State of the QUnion that damage in the residence halls happens too often. This then hurts students because the university has to spend money to repair the damages when that money could be spent elsewhere, he said.

[media-credit name=”Caitria Sands” align=”aligncenter” width=”300″]IMG_3598.JPG[/media-credit]

“We have several times a year where we have substantial damage in the Res Halls, people knocking off light fixtures or breaking ceiling tiles,” he said. “It’s all rather childish and you can have a good time without all those things, and that just forces us as a university staff to spend resources fixing what you broke, instead of maybe using those resources to create more programs or creating better spaces.”

The university is asking students who have information about the vandalism in Commons or Complex to contact Public Safety. Calls will be kept confidential.