‘Quarries’ find stepping ‘stone’ to local stardom

Though QU senior, Bill Antonucci had his doubts about transferring to Quinnipiac, it turned out to be both a good personal decision and a smart business venture.

After winning third place in last year’s annual “Battle of the Bands” competition hosted by WQAQ, Antonucci is taking his band, The Stone Quarries, to the street. The Sidestreet that is.

“Every other band at this school has more of a punk sound,” Antonucci said. “Our music has more of an old school 50’s and 60’s rock and roll feel.”

Antonucci who plays bass and his band which includes fellow students Mike Castro on lead vocals and rhythm guitar; Jon Sieg on lead guitar, Chris Campoli on drums, and Matt DeMello on keyboard, will be performing on Friday, September 29th at 10 p.m. to what Antonucci hopes will be an enthusiastic crowd.

Though he looks the part of a band leader with a head of black curly hair, a five o’clock shadow, and a worn out leather jacket, Antonucci did not hail from rock ‘n’ roll roots.

“I’ve always liked music,” he said. ” I mean, I started playing cello in the 4th grade… then I found the bass in 7th.”

As a young boy, Antonucci, who grew up in Mansfield, Mass., was influenced by such artists as The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Bruce Springsteen.

“As far as playing goes, I like a lot of funk.,” he said. “Someone like Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers is someone I really look up to.”

In high school, Antonucci played music with anyone he could and was a member of several bands. He looked forward, however, to the challenge and excitement of moving away to college to pursue his interest in film production and music at Temple University in Philadelphia.

His experience was not at all what he had expected.

“All they have are cheese steaks. And I don’t even like cheese steaks,” he said.

He eventually applied as a sophomore transfer to several schools, including Quinnipiac, after hearing that the school ran a highly respected media production program.

Impressed by the campus, he made up his mind to to to Quinnipiac even before receiving his acceptance letter.

He was not sure if Quinnipiac would be the right place to put a band together but after meeting Castro, Sieg, Campoli, and DeMello who were also eager to start a band and were conveniently in need of a bass player, Antonucci joined them.

The Stone Quarries, have been writing songs and performing ever since.

When asked about the band’s plans for the future, Antonucci looked a little confused, brushed his hand through his hair and replied with a half smile.

“Well, I think after this show we’re probably gonna tour Europe pretty good.”

The Stone Quarries will perform at Sidestreet Grille (15 Dickerman St., Hamden) on Sept. 29 at 10 p.m.Visit their My Space Page: myspace.com/thestonequarries for more info.