No-Shave November raises prostate, testicular cancer awareness

[media-credit id=2047 align=”alignnone” width=”500″]DSC_0021[/media-credit]

Put down your razors, boys. November is here and it’s time to stop shaving.

During the month of November, also known as Movember or No-Shave November, men take the opportunity to grow out a beard and sprout a moustache. But, No-Shave November isn’t just about growing out facial hair. In fact, that is really just an added benefit.

No-Shave.org describes the campaign as a way to “grow awareness by embracing our hair, which many cancer patients lose, and letting it grow wild and free.”

The campaign is a fundraiser; students register online to donate the money they would have used on shaving products and grooming to testicular and prostate cancer research, prevention and education.

Participants can register as a team or an individual. Either way, the amount raised will be tracked on a leaderboard on the website.

Each year about 138 out of 100,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer, according to the National Cancer Institute. Out of those 100,000 men, approximately 22 will die from prostate cancer. Based on data collected by the National Cancer Institute from 2010 to 2012, about 14 percent of men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point in their lifetime.

Testicular cancer is the most common form of cancer that men age 15-35 are diagnosed with, according to the Testicular Cancer Society. Each year, approximately 8,500 men are diagnosed with testicular cancer and about 350 will lose their life to this form of cancer.

Freshman Mackenzie Campbell knows the campaign has to do with cancer awareness, but believes the majority of guys participate for the competition.

“I think guys participate in No-Shave November to both raise money and to see how long their facial hair can grow,” Campbell said. “The best part about it is the competitions they have to see who has the best beard.”

Health Services Director Christy Chase said although the health center on campus does not offer any promotional activities for this cause, there are other ways students can be informed.

“We provide information to [Residential Assistants] for programming,” Chase said. “We are always available to answer any questions someone might have and we do have informational pamphlets in Student Health Services.”

Health Services does not offer any screenings or clinics. However, the staff can make doctors appointments for exams and teaching Monday through Friday.

“Screening for the age group at QU is a self testicular exam,” Chase said. “If someone found anything that they weren’t sure of we would then have the MD or PA evaluate the student and make any necessary referrals.”

Mackenzie Campbell thinks Quinnipiac should do a better job at promoting No- Shave November for the right reasons.

“It’s not all just about the beards, it’s also about the cause,” Campbell said.

Junior Clifford Goodwin was not even aware of the beard-growing, or the fundraiser.

“I think the reason for the no shaving should be expressed more,” Goodwin said. “Even though Quinnipiac is predominantly female, [the university] should have something available students to be able to donate funds and learn more about testicular cancer.”

Sophomore Tucker Wakefield agrees.

“Many guys do [No-Shave November] for the fun of it, but I think if the university does more promotion, then more guys will participate,” Wakefield said.

Junior Austin Bruno said he learned about the campaign in high school.

“My high school chemistry teacher took part in [No-Shave November],” Bruno said. “He told us about the movement to raise awareness for men’s health and he grew out a moustache every November.”

Bruno said he has been growing out his beard since the summer.

“I’m glad my fashion sense can coincide with this health movement,” Bruno said.

Freshman Miguel Raymond plans to participate.

“I’m just going to donate money and keep shaving,” Raymond said. “It’s for a good cause and I want my contribution to go directly to raising awareness.”

No-Shave November also partners with other cancer research organizations, such as the American Cancer Society and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

From the beginning of September to the end of December, No-Shave November will donate no less than 80 percent of donations to those charities, as well as the Prevent Cancer Foundation and Fight Colorectal Cancer.