Beta Theta Pi ordered to cease and desist

Beta Theta Pi fraternity has been given a cease and desist order from the university following hazing allegations, according to Vice President for Public Affairs Lynn Bushnell.

“The university has issued the fraternity a cease and desist order prohibiting it from operating at the university until the student conduct process is completed,” Bushnell said in a statement. “With the safety and security of our students being paramount, the university will simply not tolerate hazing of any kind by any group or individual and will act swiftly to remove from the community those held responsible.”

On page 12 of the university’s student handbook, hazing is defined as intentionally creating an action or situation as a method of initiation into any student organization, group of students or athletic team–on or off campus. The definition also includes physical or mental discomfort, harassment, ridicule, embarrassment, psychological or physical shock or physical or mental injury.

The Quinnipiac colony of the fraternity was founded in 2013. There are currently 134 Beta Theta Pi chapters and colonies in existence, according to the Beta Theta Pi homepage.

This is the fourth Greek life organization to receive a cease and desist order from the university over the past three years.

Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity was the most recent Greek organization to be ordered to suspend all activities in late September. Tau Kappa Epsilon was kicked off campus in December 2014, which led to a lawsuit between the university and one of the former members. Alpha Chi Omega was ordered its cease and desist in November 2013 and was able to resume operations in January 2014.

Stay with The Chronicle for updates.

Correction: The original article stated that Beta Theta Pi was a chapter. Beta Theta Pi is currently a colony. Incipient chapters are called colonies until they reach full chapter status on new campuses, according to stateuniversity.com.