Students compare food on different college campuses

[media-credit name=”Caitlin Cryan” align=”alignnone” width=”500″]22478246126_2be9bd39f0_o[/media-credit]

From the University of Connecticut (UConn) to Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart, students have varying opinions on both prices and quality of food on campus.

Unlike other colleges, food prices at Quinnipiac vary depending on what is purchased. For example: a burger is $5 depending on what toppings are included, french fries are $2, a cup of mixed fruit is $3.42, a water bottle is just under $1.89 and a bag of chips is a little over $1.29.

Alexa Zeoli, a sophomore at Quinnipiac, appreciates the Student Government Association’s (SGA) initiative to bring diversity into the dining hall.

“Well we have the vegetarian option that SGA brought onto [Quinnipiac’s] main campus, it used to be a pancake line or an omelet line and then they had some different foods at night, but it’s all vegetarian-based now and then we also have the new Chobani yogurt line,” Zeoli said. “I think SGA is making an effort to keep the food diverse for students.”

Zeoli said she is typically satisfied with her food experience with Chartwells.

“I didn’t really eat much last year, I had almost $300 left on my meal plan at the end of the year,” Zeoli said. “But, so far I’ve been pretty satisfied except for the few times when I’ve eaten the hot food. Some things are different and some things stay the same.”

Sean Prizio transferred from Quinnipiac University after his freshman year and he is now a senior at UConn. Though he wasn’t positive on who provides to food at UConn, he said he likes the setup better than the one Chartwells provides at Quinnipiac.

“UConn has [eight] dining halls, each specializing in particular meals and services throughout the week,” he said. “Also, the meal plan system UConn offers is exceptionally more convenient and preferable to QU’s system.”

For around $2,700 a semester, students at UConn get unlimited swipes into the dining hall where there is a buffet-type arrangement set up, Prizio said. If you do not have a meal plan and a friend cannot swipe you into the dining hall, the flat rate charge is $11 for pretty much all you can eat. The seven dining halls at UConn provide not only a huge variety of meal options, but great quality food as well, according to Prizio.

Chartwells caters to students attending Sacred Heart University. Sandwiches range from $7 to $9, salads range from $6 to $10, drinks are $2 to $4, fruit is around $5 and food off the grill is $8 to $10, according to freshman Kaitlin Thorogood.

Thorogood said her favorite food from Sacred Heart is the chicken quesadilla and salads from the salad station.

“I do not mind the food at school,” she said. “I just wish there were consistently healthier choices. At the dining hall, the options are slim and it’s not always the greatest food for you. I want to see more grilled meats rather than fried. And to be honest, most things are super overpriced.”

Thorogood praised the variety Chartwells offers at Sacred Heart.

“[The food] is good, I’m glad Chartwells offers a lot of different options,” she said. “It’s nothing like my mom’s home-cooked meals, but it’s satisfying.”

Caila Frassetto, a freshman at Quinnipiac, said said has an issue with the prices of food.

“I think Chartwells is way overpriced,” Frassetto said. “We are broke college students and we do not have enough money to pay seven dollars for an omelet and a piece of chicken. Realistically, I think a cup of fruit should cost a dollar and 50 cents or $2 maximum.”