Trump speaks his mind

As of Oct. 19, “With the backing of 25 percent of Republican primary voters, Trump is at his highest level of support in the poll since entering the 2016 race,” according to NBC News.

If you’re like me, you don’t see the name “Trump” and immediately shudder, feel sick to your stomach and quickly scroll on. I commend you for this but I wouldn’t blame you either if you do. So where we are left: Trump either has your favor or you still think his campaign is an asinine exhibit.

But is his harsh/blunt approach on issues his problem or is over-sensitivity our problem?

To quickly debrief, Trump has caught a lot of flack for his blatant social and economic views. College students who are interested in politics typically have an agenda that focuses on social issues, because it’s more relatable and easy to understand rather than focusing on the economy. It’s not how we view issues but rather the issues we are viewing.

It’s no surprise that Trump is most noted for his “woman-hating antics” or being racist. It’s easy to argue that he has no filter but people don’t argue about his policies, because people don’t care about them. It’s more interesting to talk about him calling all illegal aliens rapists, which is why the media focuses on that aspect so often.

The current American society is one of acceptance, but those who most strongly advocate for it will simultaneously shut you down the moment you voice any opinion other than theirs.

Trump is really just saying what no other politician will say. Politicians feed us so much bullsh*t all of the time and you have to wonder what they really mean by what they say, but with Trump, it’s different.

Trump has more ability than others to speak his mind on issues because he funds himself.

“I’m using my own money. I’m not using the lobbyists; I’m not using donors,” he boasted to an audience. “I’m really rich!”

In the past few months he was able to close his wallet a bit because of the support he is getting by voters.

“The contributors are in small towns, suburbs and big cities. He’s raised money from hundreds of retirees, ranchers, dentists, physicians, real estate executives and financial consultants,” according to PBS.

He doesn’t need to please his donors. The only people he needs to please are the American people. And he is, as you can see in the first sentence of this article.

Trump calls things as they are, and the media and voters from all parties may not approve, but not many accuse him of his content being incorrect.

For instance, when he called all illegal aliens, rapists. Direct quote: “…people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

To be honest, we wouldn’t even be having a conversation about immigration if it weren’t for Trump. He isn’t just making assumptions, he’s exposing the broken immigration system. People are so focused on the offensive speech that they ignore the facts.

And it’s true, not all immigrants are rapists, but here are the facts. In 2014, the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) committee released a document stating that in 2013 there were 193 murderers with homicide convictions, 426 people with sexual assault convictions and 16,000 criminal illegal aliens with drunk driving convictions.

“The document reveals that the 36,007 convicted criminal aliens freed from ICE custody in many instances had multiple convictions. Among them, the 36,007 had nearly 88,000 convictions,” according to the Center for Immigration Studies.

Did you read that correctly? Illegal aliens, who are criminals, were freed from Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Their job is border control, and to enforce these rules to protect our country and they aren’t doing it. Trump is trying to fix the system, not just throw all illegals aliens out of the country. But the mainstream media doesn’t cover this because it’s not as sexy as Trump name calling.

“I love our country, but sometimes it’s jobs that a citizen of the United States doesn’t want to do,” Trump said in an interview with CNN. “I mean, there are jobs that a lot of people don’t want to do. I want to move them out, and we’re going to move them back in, and let them be legal, but they have to be in here legally. … Otherwise, you don’t have a country.”

If everyone were one-issue voters and their main concern was jobs, Trump should be seriously considered.

“I will be the greatest jobs president that God has ever created,” he said.

Yes, yes you would, Donald.

Trump plans on cutting the corporate tax rate. This isn’t just for giant companies, it’s all companies including mom-and-pop shops that will stimulate the economy by creating jobs, and an increase in GDP growth.

You can think Trump is an ass. You don’t have to agree with what he says or his policies. But you should find it refreshing to hear a voice running for office that isn’t just an extension of someone else’s. And maybe the issue we should start to expand on isn’t his opinions but his lack of ability, as well as ours, to have opinions anymore without being labeled as a bigot or close-minded.

Check out our competing column here.