DEVELOPING STORY: Changes made to May Weekend

FIRST ON QUCHRONICLE.COM: There will not be a beer tent at Quinnipiac University this May Weekend. Further, regular drinking policies regarding open containers outdoors consistent with other weekends during the year will be enforced.

In a statement e-mailed to The Chronicle, the university said “The purpose of May Weekend is to provide students an opportunity to enjoy friends and events prior to the close of the spring semester. Unfortunately this intent has been over-shadowed by the blatant use and abuse of alcohol. As the University continues to address the challenges of this national concern, coupled with the fact that the majority of legal age students live off campus, there will no longer be any alcohol served during this annual event. This change will not only provide a safer environment, it will also permit the Student Programming Board to maximize the events that can be offered.”

The Student Government Association sent The Chronicle a statement that, in part, said, “On Wednesday, March 8th Cindy Long Porter, Director of Residential life and Monique Drucker, Associate Dean of Student Affairs . informed the SGA that this year’s May Weekend activities will ‘not include a refreshment tent and that the drinking policies will remain consistent with other weekends during the year.’ For example, Residential life will be enforcing their policies about open containers outdoors. At this time, the SGA is trying to ascertain more information from the administration to gain a better understanding of the situation. The decision to remove the ‘refreshment tent’ and enforce other May Weekend policies was made by President [John] Lahey and his cabinet, representatives from Student Affairs and was based on data they received through conducting focus groups. SGA was in no way included in the decision making process.” SGA will be updating QUConcerns.com with related news Friday.

Be sure to check QUChronicle.com throughout spring break for comprehensive coverage of this developing story. The Chronicle invites students to e-mail their reactions and thoughts to [email protected] for possible future publication.