Album review: Flipsyde set to tour debut disc as opener for Black Eyed Peas

For all the liberal doves that have been waiting for an anti-war hip hop album: It’s time to celebrate.

Flipsyde’s debut album “We the People” is unlike your usual hip hop album. The quartet from Oakland, Calif., incorporates alternative and rock with their hip hop style.

The band includes Jinho “Piper” Ferreira, lyrics and vocals; Steve Knight, vocals and acoustic guitar; Dave Lopez, electric and acoustic guitar; and D-Sharp, disc jockey.

Since most of the band mates are from different backgrounds or ethnicities, no track on the album sounds the same, and the song subjects range from upbeat to serious.

The opening track to the album and Flipsyde’s first single, “Someday,” starts the album off with powerful vocals, followed by the Jamacain-sounding second track “Spun.” These first two tracks, along with a few others, such as “Skippin’ Stones,” are upbeat songs you can blast on a Friday night in your dorm room. However, several of the other tracks are a lot more personal and somber.

“U.S. History,” for instance, is from America’s point of view, saying how America herself loves to go to war with other countries. For example: “It’s a family called the Middle East and they got bread / Sellin’ oil they don’t cut me in then off with their head.” The 13th and final track is entitled “Happy Birthday,” and, although the title may be deceiving, the song is about Piper’s aborted child.

Even though Flipsyde sounds a little different than most hip hop bands, they still sing about violence and drugs, and most of their songs contain a good amount of profanity. The album does have a Parental Advisory sticker slapped on the front, but Flipsyde is a perfect example of why not to judge a band by their cover. On the track “Trumpets,” it sounds like Dave Matthews is singing, and the aforementioned “Spun” sounds like something off the super group the Black-Eyed Peas’ latest CD.

Ironically, Flipsyde will be opening for the Black-Eyed Peas on the Honda Civic Tour, along with The Pussycat Dolls. The tour begins March 23 and lasts until May 21. On April 26, they will be playing at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Conn. For more tour dates, visit www.hondacivictour.com or Flipsyde’s official Web site, www.flipsyde.com.

Give this track a second listen: “Happy Birthday”

Our rating: 4.5 stars

(out of five.)