Belskie, field hockey tops Vermont

Belskie, field hockey tops Vermont

Quinnipiac field hockey went head to head with the University of Vermont Sunday afternoon, coming out on top with a 4-3 victory at the QU Field Hockey Field.

[media-credit name=”(Erin Kane/Chronicle” align=”alignright” width=”200″]21142504884_3d76258a55_o[/media-credit]

The Bobcats were led by sophomore Lauren Belskie, who netted two goals in the win.

“It felt awesome,” Belskie said. “It was the first time I had ever scored two goals in a game. It was really great that, after we practiced corners for awhile, that they are finally coming together during the game.”

Quinnipiac junior Angie King got the game started by scoring with 15:09 remaining in the first half, making it 1-0 Bobcats.

Vermont’s Annmarie Farmer responded, however, finding the back of the net with 6:06 left in the first half to tie things 1-1 – which is where things remained until the half.

Bobcats Junior Haley Swartz then scored a goal only five minutes into the second half, giving Quinnipiac a 2-1 advantage.

“… I think the fact that our players respond so well to what’s said at a time out or a halftime, it’s just gratifying because you know you’ll always get what you ask for,” Quinnipiac head coach
Becca Main said.

Vermont’s Tess O’Brien scored to knot things up 2-2, continuing the back-and-forth theme.

Then, Belskie took over. She scored twice in a 12-minute span to give Quinnipiac a 4-2 lead.

With the win, Quinnipiac moves to 3-7-0 on the year. The Bobcats are back in action on Friday, when they travel to Penn State for a 6 p.m. start.

“Now we are asking people to reach in a little bit deeper in the depths of themselves and figure out how to make themselves a better player out there and how to make the people around them better,” Main said. “That’s what I’m looking forward to in October, is seeing them play a little bit better.”