University won’t increase security for May weekend

Despite the hype surrounding the upcoming May weekend, Public Safety will not advance security from April 24 to April 26, according to Assistant Chief of Public Safety James Nealy.

The unofficial May weekend begins on Friday and for many students will include hanging out, partying and drinking. Although in previous years Public Safety has increased the amount of on-campus officers for May weekend, Nealy says it will not take extra protocols this year.

According to Nealy, Public Safety may search car trunks and backpacks for alcoholic beverages during May weekend, but he said this is a “normal course of operation.”

Sophomore Alyssa Friedman said by making the choice to attend Quinnipiac, students sign away their rights toward what they can and cannot do.

“The search comes with the territory of going to a private university,” she said.

Public Safety officers highly patrol Quinnipiac every weekend, according to Nealy, and May weekend will not impact their patrols.

“We don’t recognize it as ‘May weekend,’” Nealy said. “For us, it’s just a regular weekend.”

Nealy said Public Safety officers are proactive every day, no matter what day it is, and will continue their normal routine of monitoring students’ activities during May weekend.

Sophomore Riya Patel said she can relate with Public Safety. She knows what to expect from weekends at Quinnipiac.

“If I don’t go out every weekend, then I’ll just treat it like any other weekend,” Patel said. “I’ll know what to expect.”

Patel knows that with or without higher safety standards, parties will continue to happen at Quinnipiac.

“Teachers and professors can educate students as much as they can,” Patel said. “But regardless, the decisions lie on the students.”

Nealy says Public Safety is aware that parties and drinking will still happen.

“Kids will be kids,” Nealy said.

Some students believe Public Safety stays proactive during Quinnipiac events. Former Quinnipiac student Alison Thomas said both Public Safety officers and Quinnipiac staff are trustworthy enough to not let anything bad happen.

“The security can stay the same because they’re already really good at their jobs,” Thomas said. “I don’t think there’s too much to worry about at Quinnipiac—it’s a good school.”

Monique Drucker, vice president and dean of students, said in an email students should keep safety tips in mind while they enjoy their leisure time this weekend.

“Your safety is our top priority,” Drucker said. “Do not hesitate to contact Public Safety at ext. 111 or alert the Residential Life staff.”

Nealy said Public Safety officers will be there in times of emergency over the course of the weekend.

While sophomores, juniors and seniors get excited for another May weekend, freshmen have gained their excitement through stories they have heard about past May weekends.

Freshman Nicole Kessler said she has heard what to expect from other students. But Kessler said she feels like May weekend is already in full effect on the Mount Carmel campus.

“Music is already blasting and it’s 10:30 in the morning,” Kessler said.

She said that while the experience is new to freshmen, Public Safety officers know what to expect on May weekend since patrolling on a day-to-day basis is part of their job.

“These officers have probably seen much worse,” Kessler said. “So for them, May weekend is nothing.”

During May weekend parties, students like Patel think that nothing will change in terms of campus safety.

“Public Safety can try and enforce laws on Quinnipiac’s main campus,” Patel said. “They may have some improvement, but then students will just continue to do what they have done before.”

“We see it as community service,” Nealy said. “It’s all about getting out there and being visible to [the students].”