Something sweet

Something+sweet

Spring has finally hit Quinnipiac, which means summer isn’t too far away. One of the best summer treats? Ice cream, of course! Four Chronicle members took to three local ice cream shops in Hamden and Cheshire to give their most unique flavors a taste.

[media-credit name=”Hannah Schindler/Chronicle” align=”alignnone” width=”300″]DSC_0148[/media-credit]

Kelly’s Kone Konnection: Twinkie

Julia: This ice cream was sweet, but it tasted too much like plain vanilla for me, and I am not a fan of vanilla. I liked the little sample I had, but if I had to get a whole cone or cup I probably would not have wanted to finish it. (3 out of 5 stars)

Jeanette: It was fun that there were actually pieces of Twinkie mixed into this ice cream. I wouldn’t get this flavor a second time, but Kelly’s had several chocolate-based flavors that I’d love to try in the future. (2 out of 5 stars)

Kelly: This ice cream had a cake batter base very similar to the one at Coldstone Creamery. If you’re a cake batter fan, this is the ice cream for you. But it was too sweet for me and I could barely finish my spoonful.  (2 out of 5 stars)

Hannah: It sounded interesting, but I really didn’t like it. It did have real Twinkie pieces in it, so that made it a little more bearable. I think I would have definitely liked something at this ice cream shop if it had some chocolate in it. (2 out of 5 stars)

[media-credit name=”Hannah Schindler/Chronicle” align=”alignnone” width=”300″]DSC_0193[/media-credit]

Wentworth’s: Pothole

Julia: This Nutella Oreo Swirl ice cream was the easy favorite of the three. I scraped the bottom of the cup with my spoon to get the last bit of ice cream out. I would have preferred a chocolate base, though. (4 out of 5 stars)

Jeanette: I absolutely hated this, but that may have been related to the fact that I hate vanilla ice cream and Nutella (crazy, I know). This flavor can keep one star for its Oreos, although I couldn’t taste the cookie at all in my bite. (1 out of 5 stars)

Kelly: Nutella and Oreos…need I say more? The ice cream was a vanilla base with a swirl of probably the two most delicious ingredients on the planet. The name could use some work, but overall it was tasty. (3 out of 5 stars)

Hannah: This definitely was my favorite. I loved pretty much every part of this ice cream. Nutella is, like, amazing and Oreos… everyone loves Oreos. Wentworth’s lived up to my expectations like it always does. (5 out of 5 stars)

[media-credit name=”Hannah Schindler/Chronicle” align=”alignnone” width=”300″]DSC_0166[/media-credit]

Sweet Claude’s: Smurf

Julia: I liked this blue raspberry ice cream more than I thought I would because usually I don’t like fruity flavors. (Chocolate and I are soulmates.) The marshmallows made the flavor, providing that that extra unhealthy kick that is so important about ice cream. I only wish my cup had a few more marshmallows.  (3 out of 5 stars)

Jeanette: I liked it but think the raspberry flavor is better in sorbet form than ice cream form. It was such a pretty color though, and it would be refreshing on a summer afternoon. (4 out of 5 stars)

Kelly: I was surprised with how much I liked this flavor. The taste is super refreshing and its bright blue color really catches your eye. If you have a little brother or sister, they’ll love this flavor. I could have done without the marshmallows though. (3 out of 5 stars)

Hannah: This was definitely the coolest flavor we tried. IT WAS BLUE. How many times have you had blue ice cream with marshmallows? Although this wasn’t my favorite flavor, the color and marshmallow won some points in my book.  (3 out of 5 stars)

Photos by Hannah Schindler