Jamie Cullum not just another pop singer

Do not judge Jamie Cullum by his album cover: he is not another pop singer.

Cullum, a 26-year-old British songwriter, singer, and piano virtuoso, has recently released his second album, “Catching Tales.” His debut album, “Twentysomething,” was released last year, selling over two million copies.

Within the first few seconds of the first track on “Catching Tales,” it is obvious Cullum is not another male pop-singer trying to make it big based off his image alone. Cullum is helping to bring jazz back into the mainstream music world, and he is doing it well. However, a certain acquired taste is needed to enjoy this album.

If you are looking for a good album to play while you are getting ready to go out on a Friday night, do not buy this album; do not even download it. If you have been yearning for an album to just relax and mellow out to, “Catching Tales” is for you.

The track “Get Your Way” features hip-hop DJ and producer Dan the Automator (Gorillaz, Handsome Boy Modeling School), and Cullum does a remarkable cover of British band the Doves’ “Catch the Sun.”

On tracks like, “Photograph,” “I Only Have Eyes for You,” and “I’m Glad There is You,” someone may think Cullum grew up playing with the likes of Art Tatum [one of the greatest jazz pianists of all time]. His piano solo in “Photograph” is outstanding: nothing like what is heard on the radio today. Most of the tracks on this album reminisce about happy memories or the rises and pitfalls of love and life. Cullum even adds a splash of humor to some of the tracks. In “7 Days to Change Your Life,” he sings: “I’ve been there myself / Sad, fat and bald / But soon with my help, / You’ll have it all.”

Cullum’s soothing voice and strong piano performance make “Catching Tales” a masterpiece, especially for a man under the age of 30. Cullum is currently on tour in the United Kingdom and Europe.

To find out more about this up and coming jazz artist, visit www.JamieCullum.com.

Give this track a second listen: “21st Century Kid”

Our rating: Three stars (out of five)