IFC, Panhellenic hold informal recruitment

Even though it is the spring semester, students can still join the Greek life community. The spring recruitment process is currently in full swing. However, there are differences between the fall and the spring recruitment, according to administration.

In the fall, the recruitment process is overseen by the Interfraternity Council for the men and the Panhellenic Council for the women. However, in the spring, the recruitment process itself is handled with more of a group by group level.

The recruitment that occurs during the spring semester ranges from being able to meet Greek members, to the groups offering bids for membership. There are also differences that apply whether someone is interested in joining a fraternity or a sorority.

For fraternities, there are similar activities to what would happen in the fall. The membership of these fraternities are between 40 to 100 members at Quinnipiac. Each chapter is allowed to dictate what size they will be.

Some of the sororities have a different policy with recruitment. Even though they have unlimited recruitment in the fall, groups that are under the administration of the Panhellenic Council. The national body has a policy in place limiting the sorority membership called the all-campus average. This means that if a Panhellenic sorority chapter has membership equal to or more than that number, they cannot recruit in the spring.

This figure can change from year to year. For this year, the all-campus average is 167 at Quinnipiac. As a result, only Alpha Chi Omega and Pi Beta Phi are currently recruiting.

Pi Beta Phi will host three events this year as part of their informal recruitment process. The sorority held a philanthropy event last week, a game night this week and will hold a hot chocolate and cookies event on Wednesday.

President of Pi Beta Phi, McKenzie Abraham, said informal recruitment is much more relaxed than formal recruitment. Instead of a structured setting where the potential members meet all the sororities, the women get a chance to become closer with members of one sorority.

“I find it personally more comfortable and girls get to know each other better,” Abraham said. “Some of our best members are from our informal classes and the most involved because they’re going straight for this and there’s not as much pressure to say the right things because it’s really just talking and hanging out like you’re friends.”

Women who are interested in joining Pi Beta Phi must attend at least one event. The sorority is looking to take about 10 to 20 new members, but may take more if more women fit into their sisterhood, Abraham said.

Students can go to recruitment events for both Pi Beta Phi and Alpha Chi Omega.

Courtney McKenna, Director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, said if you are interested in joining a fraternity or a sorority, students should do some research, as members cannot switch from one Greek organization to another.

“If you’re going to go out and commit to something for the rest of your life, you’re going to want to spend some time with them, understand their fundamental values and what they can bring to your life,” McKenna said.

Junior Sophia Giuffrida, a member of Alpha Chi Omega, said McKenna’s point is important. She said she knew right away that her sorority was the right fit.

“I knew Alpha Chi was right for me because I connected really well with the girls,” Giuffrida said. “When I went into the Alpha Chi Omega room during formal recruitment, it truly felt like ‘home.’”

Some people may at first not even think about participating in Greek life. Mark Boulas, chapter president of Pi Kappa Phi, said he initially felt this way.

“I didn’t really think [greek life] was for me, so I didn’t rush,” Boulas said. “When second semester [of freshman year] came around, both my friends had gone out and I thought to myself that I’d be doing a disservice if I didn’t go and check them out.”

Since joining his fraternity, Boulas has participated in their Journey of Hope, a cross country bike ride to raise money for Pi Kappa Phi’s own charity. The ride also made stops to perform community service for the disabled. He says that he came back from the trip “a changed person”.

Even though he understands that it may not be for some, Boulas feels that being involved with a fraternity has improved his life.

“[Greek life] has made me more attentive to my grades and a better friend,” he said. “I wouldn’t be the man I am if I didn’t join.”
Alpha Chi Omega declined to comment.