Field hockey falls to Monmouth in overtime

Similarly to its last game against Rider on Friday, the Quinnipiac women’s field hockey team lost a heartbreaker in overtime against Monmouth at the QU Field Hockey Turf Complex on Sunday afternoon.

“We are showing our age and our inexperience,” Quinnipiac head coach Becca Main said. “We’re getting beat with our own heads, and with our own emotion. It’s effecting our basic play.

The Bobcats scored first, as senior Danielle Allan set up freshman Gemma Cierra for the first goal of the game 14:33 into action.

Lea Dietrics put the Bobcats ahead 2-0 10 minutes later, scoring her third goal of the season.

Monmouth’s Amanda Schoenfeld scored only a minute later to make things 2-1 heading into halftime.

Allan then started off the second half by converting a penalty corner from just inside the circle, good for her eighth goal of the season to put the Bobcats ahead 3-1.

Schoenfeld scored her second goal of the game three minutes later, knocking in a rebound to make it 3-2.

Shortly before the conclusion of the game, Schoenfeld set up Trish O’Dwyer to tie the game and send things into overtime.

Schoenfeld then set up O’Dwyer in transition for the game-winning goal 4:34 into overtime, as Monmouth went on to win 4-3.

Quinnipiac goalie Megan Conaboy recorded 12 saves on the day.

“[We need to] learn how to control the emotions of the game and the craziness that comes at the end of the game,” Main said.

The Bobcats are now 2-2 in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, and need to win their last league game of the season against Sacred Heart on Friday to qualify for the conference tournament.

Prior to the game, the Bobcats honored Allan, Conaboy, and Megan Osanitsch as part of senior day.