Katie Vashon Remembered; Funeral Details Announced

Katherine “Katie” Ann Vashon

What follows is the obituary that was published in newspapers throughout Katie’s home state of Maine.

HERMON – Katherine “Katie” Ann Vashon, 21, died unexpectedly October 14, 2005 at St. Raphael Hospital in New Haven, CT as a result of a sudden onset of leukemia. She was born June 21, 1984 in Waterville daughter of Jim and Carmen (Roy) Vashon.

Katie was a vibrant and loving daughter who deeply enjoyed her family, friends, and community. She was a senior majoring in public relations at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT. Katie was a 2002 graduate of Hermon High School and was an active student. Katie excelled in academics, was a member of the National Honor Society, participated in sports, and was active in several organizations. Believing in community service, Katie was drawn to Key Club (a service organization) serving as Governor of the New England District during her senior year, and enthusiastically supported Camp Sunshine in Casco, one of the club’s programs. She later interned with Key Club International at Atlanta, GA. While at Quinnipiac University, Katie was a dean’s list student and was inducted into the communications honor society Lambda Pi Eta. She was active in many organizations including her Sorority Phi Sigma Sigma, where she served on the executive board. She had a strong work ethic, which focused on a career in public relations with emphasis in sports information. She interned with the Bangor Lumberjacks for 2 summers, and was employed by the New Haven Cutters, the Hartford Wolfpack Hockey team, and the Sports Information Department at Quinnipiac. For the past 2 years, she was recognized for “MVP” at the annual Athletics and Recreations Award Ceremony. Katie loved sports and especially the Boston Red Sox. She excitedly attended this season’s last regular season game at Fenway and watched as the Red Sox defeated the Yankees. She was also a fan of Maine comic Bob Marley and attended several of his shows and was always anxious to use some of his “Maine wit”. Katie had several special places including the family camp at East Grand, Young’s Warf in Belfast, Fenway Park in Boston, and Cosi’s in Hamden, CT. Because of Katie’s vibrant lifestyle, she formed many lasting friendships. During her last hours of life, she was surrounded by several of her friends and was comforted by their presence. Katie was an inspiration and touched the lives of many people.

In addition to her parents, she is survived by her two brothers Tim Vashon of Newport, Adam Vashon and his wife Jennifer and their son Jack all of Newport; paternal grandmother Simone Vashon of Waterville; aunts and uncles Wayne Vashon and his wife Barbara of Benton, Rev. Randall Vashon of Perth Amboy, NJ and Jean Roy of Portland; cousins Lance Vashon and his wife Amy and their children Brianna and Conner; Janet, Karen, and Reggie Roy Jr. and Debbie Cantara and daughter Kirsten and Carol O’Reilly and her husband Sean. She was predeceased by her maternal grandparents Mr. and Mrs. Antonio Roy, paternal grandfather Clarence Vashon, and Uncle Reginald Roy Sr.

Friends may call 2-4 and 7-9 PM Thursday at the Birmingham Funeral Home 438 Main Street Old Town. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated 11 AM Friday at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Bangor, with the Revs. Thomas Lequin, Randall Vashon, and Jonathan Kalisch concelebrants. Burial will be at Mt. Pleasant Catholic Cemetery, Bangor. Immediately following the service at the cemetery, all are invited to return to the St. Mary’s Parish center for a light luncheon and continued fellowship. To honor Katie, memorial contributions may be made to Camp Sunshine, 35 Acadia Road, Casco, ME 04015 or www.campsunshine.org. An on-line memorial for Katie has been established at www.mem.com where a life story may be seen and personal tributes posted.