Rave: Lokai bracelets make a statement

“Oh, you have one of those bracelets!”

This is the squealing, excited exclamation I receive from nearly every girl who notices the clear-beaded circle around my left wrist. Yes, I have one of those. It’s called a Lokai bracelet, and it seems to have become increasingly trendy within the past year. Rightly so, in my opinion; I think they’re really cool.

The bracelet, like the idea, is simple in design: several clear, silicone beads with only one white bead and one black bead. The bracelet is symbolic. The clear beads, which make up the majority of the bracelet, likewise represent the majority of our lives. We go with the flow, we have our routines, we have general ups and downs. The white and black beads, though, are where the real significance lies.

The white bead is filled with water from Mount Everest, the highest point on earth. In deliberate contrast, the black bead is filled with mud from the Dead Sea, the earth’s lowest point. The symbolism is revealed in the attached paper tag which reads, “Sometimes you’re on top of the world. Stay humble. Sometimes you’ve hit a low. Stay hopeful.”

So not only are Lokais a cool addition to place next to your Alex and Anis or those rope bracelets you get at the beach during the summer, they’re a statement. They’re a reminder that when your day is going your way, maybe you should help someone else’s get better. They’re a reminder that a bad day isn’t the end of the world and that things will, very likely, look up soon. In a generation plagued with negativity, Lokai bracelets are a little light in the dark.