Career fair recruiter banned from university

The university asked a recruiter from a legitimate financial consulting company to not return to campus after he offered students “unrealistic” job opportunities at a SoB career fair last month.

Associate Dean of Career Development Jill Ferrall described the man as “aggressive.”

When interacting with students at the career fair, the recruiter focused heavily on the amount of money students could make working for his company, Ferrall said.

“His sales tactics to get students to interview with him were a bit too strong and too pushy and I did not appreciate the fact that he was really pushing the money aspect as opposed to the experience aspect,” Ferrall said.

Ferrall said she prefers School of Business students receive a base salary upon entering the career field. Instead, this recruiter offered students a commission-based salary.

The recruiter told students they would make between $400,000 to $2.7 million in their first year on the job.

“If somebody says that to anybody, it goes with the rule: if it’s too good to be true, it’s too good to be true,” she said.

After students said the recruiter made them feel uncomfortable, Ferrall asked the man to stop contacting students.

“He has been blocked via our IT security where he cannot email students,” Ferrall said. “I even contacted security and gave them a description of him and said, ‘if he ever tries to come on campus, please tell him he’s not welcome to come onto campus.’”

Ferrall said she will meet with Chief of Public Safety David Barger in June to see if there is anything she could do differently in terms of registration or security for future career fairs.

Senior finance major Nicholas Guarino said preventing the recruiter from coming back to campus was a good precaution to take.

“If he’s kind of a fraud, it wouldn’t be good for students to go to him or even to hear what he has to say,” Guarino said. “I don’t think he would be a harm, but it’s just the right thing to do.”

Ferrall said this situation was a “fluke” and hopes it will not happen again.

“We have really good students here at Quinnipiac and they’re here to get a good education and they really want to work by their education to make a living, and I felt that he was pushing the wrong end,” she said. “It was all about money, money, money.”