North Haven law school on track for fall

Quinnipiac’s $65 million construction on its new law school on the North Haven campus will be ready as planned for the fall semester in 2014.

The law school is still under construction and is expected to be finished by August, including two large classrooms with 85 seats each and three medium-size classrooms that should hold between 50 and 65 seats, Vice President of Facilities and Capital Planning Salvatore Filardi said. The law school will occupy building three on the North Haven campus with associated classrooms, new spaces, support spaces, dean suite, admissions and more.

“It really includes a lot of things within that $65 million,” Filardi said. “Fifteen million dollars of that budget is getting rid of what we call deferred maintenance in the building. There’s things in the building that we would have to do no matter how we used it.”

North Haven is strategically planned to be a graduate school campus, Filardi said.

“There’s two drivers. One, it moves the law school with the other graduate programs over there,” he said. “And two, it free’s up square footage on this campus the growing undergraduate population.”

Legal studies major Rachael Cox said she is concerned about moving the law school to North Haven.

“Though I understand that the law school is obviously primarily for law students,” Cox said. “It is inconvenient for undergraduate legal studies majors who are looking to one day be law students themselves.”

Facilities is replacing all the windows on all four floors of building three and will upgrade all mechanical equipment. The structure of the building will also see some changes before it opens in August.

“We made improvements and moved the loading dock and the bookstore so that they conserved the whole campus,” Filardi said. “They were kind of small and undersized for the whole campus before.”

The current law school building, including its library, will be used for undergraduate programs. It will be put in immediate use for faculty offices, classrooms and “support spaces” for the engineering and communication programs.

Although the shelves and books will be removed from the law library, there will be places for students to study, Filardi said.

Filardi said he does not know what kind of arrangement will be made for the books in the law library for students on main campus.

Cox said legal studies majors need to use the law library’s resources for their classes, such as Legal Research.

“It is imperative that students have access to the books in the law library, as that is what the course is centered around,” Cox said. “Those who don’t have cars will have a difficult time utilizing the references provided by the law school.”

Junior Adam Coopersmith said it makes sense for the university to move the law school to North Haven.

“I feel like when you are over at that campus, you have a much more higher culture of learning,” he said. “So, you are away from all the undergraduates. You’re away from all the immaturity of that, and you’re really more toward the professional world.”