State of the QUnion pushed to fall

This year’s State of the QUnion was cancelled due to President John Lahey’s “busy” schedule, Student Body President Matt Desilets said.

“Something came up [with the president’s schedule] and we just decided that it wasn’t the same event without him,” Desilets said.

State of the QUnion gives students the opportunity to ask administrators questions about the university’s future, according to SGA’s website.

The Student Government Association tried to reschedule the event but will have to push it until the fall of 2014, Desilets said.

“We were going to try and reschedule it before elections, but we just couldn’t get a date that worked because [Lahey] is, this semester more than any other semester, travelling,” he said.

Desilets said it would not be fair to the student body to not have the university president speak at State of the QUnion.

“We wanted to make sure he was there; we didn’t want to put Mark [Thompson] on a platform and have people grill him about security and stuff like that,” he said. “We wanted the full State of the QUnion experience.”

Senior Samantha Ceritelli said Lahey should have come back to the university for the State of the QUnion.

“Maybe [Lahey] should have changed [his travel schedule] around if the past [State of the QUions] had shown to be effective and students really liked to participate in it,” Ceritelli said.

Lahey has been travelling for fundraising and admissions, Desilets said.

“He does a ton of travelling to go and talk to potential donors and go to benefit dinners,” Desilets said. “He’s all over the place, but he’s very good at what he does.”

Freshman Noelle Brasier said it is important for Lahey to travel to get money for the school.

“But at the same time I think it is more important to listen to the people within the community because they’re the ones actually experiencing it,” she said. “We’re the people who actually attend the school so he kind of needs our input in order to keep the school running.”

Junior Amy Wisnewski said it is good Lahey travels to fundraise for the university.

“It could be benefiting the university,” she said. “It’s not like he went on vacation and didn’t reschedule it.”

Desilets said cancelling this year’s State of the QUnion was a “bummer.”

“It’s been a really cool event in the past and I was excited to hopefully host it, but there’s not much you can do because of his schedule,” he said.