Students ‘wear the world’ with Serengetee

The clothing company and philanthropic organization Serengetee is beginning to make an appearance on campus as four students become representatives for the company. The students’ goal is to sell Serengetee products to change the world, according to the company’s website.

With more than 168,000 supporters, the company hires college students who promote the company as campus representatives through social media and wearing the products, according to junior marketing major and campus representative Meghan Curley.

TylerDrosteSerengeteeMegan Maher

“I love to travel and to see something while traveling and being able to preserve that memory for other people is important to me,” Curley said. “Knowing that the money from buying clothing from [Serengetee] is going toward that is something I am passionate about.”

Serengetee started when three college students traveled the world during the Semester at Sea study abroad program and launched the company to provide an easy way for college students to make a donation to various causes, such as the environment and poverty relief.

“Serengetee really appealed to me because it’s a company started and run by college students,” junior public relations major and campus representative Melissa Chighisola said. “These guys created a job and a life for themselves while still in college, which is really remarkable and something we all are hoping for but don’t always have the direction.”

The company sells different articles of clothing, such as T-shirts, backpacks and shorts that have various fabrics with colorful designs from different countries around the world.

Since its launch in 2012, Serengetee has raised more than $52,000.

Each fabric is teamed up with a cause that is located in the same region, according to the Serengetee Facebook page. Five percent of the purchases then goes back to that area of the world, according to sophomore sociology major and campus representative Alexandra Mason.

The website uses the slogan “Wear the World” to represent the various fabrics and styles from all around the globe.

“It’s mostly going around on campus promoting their clothing,” Curley said. “Whether that is just bringing it up in conversation or wearing the shirt and having people comment on the design.”

Mason said after finding out about the company through social media, she was excited to apply to be a campus representative.

“[Serengetee] supports 32 different causes and you can see the positive change in each that the company has on that cause,” Mason said. “By only spending around $25, you know that that money is going someplace that needs it.”

Mason said social media plays a key role in promotion of the company; however, wearing the clothes is it is an important aspect, as well.

“I have worn my Serengetee a few times this semester and it really sparks conversation,” Mason said. “It’s not like any other shirt I have seen people wear.”

Mason believes there is a unique story behind every article of Serengetee clothing and it gives meaning to the clothing rather than “just wearing a shirt.”

“You can have interesting things, but to have a story behind it is even better,” Mason said. “It’s the fact that you can say that this shirt is helping an organization that helps this area or region half way across the world.”

Curley said Serengetee is a perfect opportunity for students on campus to get a hand in what [Serengetee] is trying to accomplish.

“As small as Quinnipiac is, I think we have that common personality of all wanting to do big things and I think the general population would promote Serengetee,” Curley said.

Sophomore health sciences major and campus representative Tyler Droste said Quinnipiac students love to give back to the community in unique ways.

“[Serengetee] has a variety of styles and shirts that would appeal to college students,” Droste said. “It gives people a good feeling that the money is not just going to the company, but it is going to a cause greater than itself.”

Mason said the campus representatives are trying to work together to set up a table in the student center with facts on Serengetee and discount codes for purchases.

“It’s just a really neat way to help people across the globe without having to leave where you are,” Mason said. “If you don’t give back then, in the end, what is the point? I think that you have been given so much that you should at least try to give back to others who need the help.”