News outside the Quinnipiac campus

New Haven police investigate racism within department

The New Haven Police Department is investigating the treatment of its own black officers, according to the New Haven Register. After the “n-word” was heard over the police radio on Dec. 30, the New Haven police conducted an ongoing internal investigation. Attorney John Williams said investigators have found the New Haven police treats black police officers as “suspects and second-class citizens” at a press conference on Thursday, according to the New Haven Register. Black police officers are underrepresented in the New Haven Police Department, Williams said. The investigation revealed several other alleged incidents of racism within the department.

Peace talks in Syria

The Syrian government and its opposition agreed on Monday to extend a “humanitarian pause” in the Old City of Homs for three more days, according to CNN. This agreement comes after an attack on Sunday on a United Nations convoy, which was bringing aid to citizens in the besieged city, according to the Wall Street Journal. Each side is blaming the other for the attack. Unlike the first round of talks between the two sides, the Syrian government and the opposition would not meet face-to-face because of these attacks, according to the Wall Street Journal. Instead, the two sides met separately with Lakhdar Brahimi, the U.N. mediator. The two sides hope to broker an agreement which would set up a transitional government.

US considers lethal strike against American

The Obama administration is in talks to conduct a lethal strike on an overseas American citizen who allegedly works with al-Qaeda and has plotted against the United States, according to CNN. Commanders in the U.S. military and U.S. national security agencies are among the groups making this decision, according to CNN. Obama would have the final approval over the decision. The name and location of the citizen have not been revealed.